• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eaton E-Locker Operation?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing an Eaton E-Locker in my Dana 44. It appears that the axles only lock when there is torque applied via the drive shaft. In other words, with the wheels off the ground, if I energize the locker and turn a wheel it acts like an open differential. If I turn the driveshaft the wheels do lock but relieving the torque on the drive shaft unlocks the axles. Is this normal? I'm used to ARB air-lockers that when air is applied are fully locked regardless of driveshaft torque.

Thanks.

yea thats why they say you need to be easy when engaging the locker.. as it takes a little spin to engage the locker

im afraid if you were to switch from reverse to forward quickly it might shear off those pins..

thats why i am gonna arb the front, and aussie the rear

stoneattic said:
I just finished installing an Eaton E-Locker in my Dana 44. It appears that the axles only lock when there is torque applied via the drive shaft. In other words, with the wheels off the ground, if I energize the locker and turn a wheel it acts like an open differential. If I turn the driveshaft the wheels do lock but relieving the torque on the drive shaft unlocks the axles. Is this normal? I'm used to ARB air-lockers that when air is applied are fully locked regardless of driveshaft torque.

Thanks.
im pretty sure thats normal after watching the films and reading how the locker works.. it takes a little rotation to get the ball ramp to engage the pins

WWWoooaaaahhhhhh.

I am seriously considering this locker for my 44. Are you serious that it locks and unlocks even with power to it? Seems like if it were that fragile it would not come as factory H2 and other trucks. I don't wanna bust a pin when slamming fwrd/rvrs in the mud!

Anybody else have the lowdown? I like the fact that it is cheaper than ARB, and no airlines AND an open diff when off for the wifey in the ice.

Stoneattic,
Where did you buy it? How much? Hard to install?

Thanks!
Jason

im not saying that its a crappy unit,,, i just dont like the way it engages.. i personally think the arb way is better..

I got it from these guys for $575

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

The install was pretty much like an open carrier other than drilling a hole for the wires and making sure that the antirotation tabs on the electomagnet aren't under load.

The actuation kind of threw me. After I had everything installed and hit the button I turned the wheel and it diff stayed open. I check everything out, measured voltage at the axle, turned the other wheel, etc and still it was an open carrier. I then turned the driveshaft (after re-reading the install directions) and it locked the diff. But if I let pressure off the driveshaft and turned a wheel the diff went open again. I'm used to the ARB in my old D35 that would be locked regardless of driveshaft torque. I didn't particularly like the way it went open when not under pressure.

I will say that I like the lack of air lines, compressor and seal though.

We'll see how I like it when I need to use it :)

yea thats why i chose the arb after talking to a local shop "mig offroad in lexington KY" www.migoffroad.com

they advised me not to install a e-locker...

as long as a shop locally has experience installing arb's they are a very reliable locker..

thats why i am installing a auto locker rear and arb front.

yea the seals kinda suck but tis ok if you have a shop locally that will help ya, and do it cheap

the elocker takes a certain amout of torque to fully engage. the action you describe is normal, you just couldnt supply the proper amount of torque to fully engage it with your hand by turning the DS. the tires have to try and differentiate to a certain degree. Once the locker is fully engaged, it will not unlock untill you turn off the electromagnet.

joe m.

i have this locker in my 8.8 and LOVE it! when you spin the tire in an open diff, it only spins the spider gears inside the carrier, and does not rotate the actual carrier and gears. the gears have to rotate to align the pins and holes, this is why it requires driveshaft rotation. it has a 1 year warranty & i'm willing to bet that if it broke doing the reverse-foward thing it would be covered. see, if it is locked at a high speed(which the instructions specifically say not to do) the pins will shear long before they are fully seated, because the friction caused by the torque of the rotating assembly pressing the pin holes against the pin sides is far greater than that of the relatively weak electromagnet thingie pushing them in. the forces applied to the pins here are a lot like the force applied to a hitch pin used as a tow hook. if you go from 1 to R and you are locked in, the same basic mechanical theory of why you don't want slam it would apply to the gears themselves and lets not forget the trannie... they also have the advantage of 1) being mechanically pretty simple-no air lines, seals, compressor, etc. and 2) if the locker breaks, you still have a full-functioning ,rebuidable diff.also, i really don't think that GM would offer this as a factory option to most of their large trucks and suv's if it was not a decent design.

i dunno i just would like to put my money on something a little more proven..

also i like the feel of a non selectable in the rear.. works for me.. if those lockers work good, an they make one for the 30 i would consider using it

stoneattic said:
Actually the D44 is the "collar" style, not the "pin" style.

A Quick Look At How it Works Basically, when the system is engaged, friction between an armature and an electromagnet apply force to a "ball ramp" mechanism. This forces the ball ramp's bearings out of their pockets and up the ramp. That action, in turn, pushes the system's locking pins into matching holes located on the back of the side gear. That locks the axle, and drives torque to both wheels.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/eaton/page2.html

eaton_elocker1.jpg

Last edited:
sorry i never knew there were 2 types.. everything i have looked at talked about pins.. how does the collar type work

stoneattic} I got it from these guys for $575.[/QUOTE said:
you beat me by a whole 25 bucks :mad::paperwork:paperwork
Red97XJ said:
anybody ever heard of one of these getting broken? Sounds like a pretty stout unit.
not yet, but with this being :NAXJA: and all; i'm willing to bet that it won't take too long...
:paperwork:paperwork:explosion:paperwork
ok serously though, i was wondering how arb lockers work? is there a speed limit to turning it on?

Back