• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will this work???

cblevy98

NAXJA Forum User
i have come across a late 70s scout that has a complete and working drivetrain under it. d-44 front and rear. front has lock outs on it too. 6cyl engine 4or3 spd tranny and some sort of x-case. the body however is spent.

now my question will these d-44s fit under my 89xj? i would think it would be close since they are a narrow wheelbase truck too. if they would fit is it a hard swap to convert?

Last edited:
cblevy98 said:
i have come across a late 70s scout that has a complete and working drivetrain under it. d-44 front and rear. front has lock outs on it too. 6cyl engine 4or3 spd tranny and some sort of x-case. the body however is spent.

now my question will these d-44s fit under my 89xj? i would think it would be close since they are a narrow wheelbase truck too. if they would fit is it a hard swap to convert?
1. aren't the scout axles narrower then xj?
2. isn't the scout front axle passenger side drop? (xj is driver side trop)

I'm looking into the same thing right now. A freind of mine has an extra set of scout axles. On the rear I measured the the spring pad with just to get a rough estimate and its about 6 inches narrower. But the key here is the pads are set farther from the backing plates. i'll have to go back with a tape measure and really measure them but it looks really close by eye. the front is a driver side drop and coil buckets would need to be added as well as shock mounts and control arm mounts(if you are using stock suspension). the reason my friend isn't going to use these is there is minimal space between the driver side leaf spring perch and the diff housing. its actually part of the housing. so i think the rear maybe usable, the front may be more of a pain.

BMWSOB said:
I'm looking into the same thing right now. A freind of mine has an extra set of scout axles. On the rear I measured the the spring pad with just to get a rough estimate and its about 6 inches narrower. But the key here is the pads are set farther from the backing plates. i'll have to go back with a tape measure and really measure them but it looks really close by eye. the front is a driver side drop and coil buckets would need to be added as well as shock mounts and control arm mounts(if you are using stock suspension). the reason my friend isn't going to use these is there is minimal space between the driver side leaf spring perch and the diff housing. its actually part of the housing. so i think the rear maybe usable, the front may be more of a pain.
woops, it is a pass side drop, sorry for the miss info

no!

SEARCH

Back