• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which engine temp sender?

zith

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1996 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0L

I broke the temp sender that is in the back of the engine on the block (The plastic was desintegrating and weak) so I went to advance auto to get a new one.

Having a little trouble getting the right sender. I've got a full gauge cluster (no idiot lights).

The first sender they gave me looked right except for the connector. It had two pins, where as there is only one pin (and consequently one wire) to my current sender. I went back and they checked their stock, and the sender they found with a single pin is the idiot gauge sender. Seeing as though when people do a gauge swap they have to change senders... I suspect the idiot gauge sender won't work.

So I had the guy look up a 1995 cherokee to see if the p/ns were the same. They were not. Unfortunately this part they needed to order for me (and will have late this afternoon).

So I'm trying to figure out why there are so many different senders/connectors. Would like to know if anyone has experience with this 95 sender, or has a 96 and has replaced the sender and found the right part #?

For reference, this is the first part they gave me:
GP Sorensen 38-5135.

This is the idoit gauge part:
GP Sorensen TSU199

This is the part on order:
GP Sorensen TSU198

Thanks!

That site seems to suggest 92 through 96 used the same temp sender (which is what I believed). So maybe Advance Auto just has an incorrect sender listed for the 96 model, and the 95 sender on order is correct?

I guess if this doesn't work I can order the sender through that site, or *shudders* the dealer.

-Brian

well, just picked up the sender for a 95 cherokee...

Don't know why it is different from the "96 sender", but physically appears to be correct. Will know more when I finally install it!

Back