• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing question

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to regear, and wanted to know If I need to change the carrier in my dana 35 rear. It is a 94 with the limited slip. I really do not want to lose the LS, so if you guys know if I'll need to change this it will help me with my choice. I also would like to know about the front HP d30. Thanks for any help guys. JOE

sloppyjoe said:
I am getting ready to regear, and wanted to know If I need to change the carrier in my dana 35 rear. It is a 94 with the limited slip. I really do not want to lose the LS, so if you guys know if I'll need to change this it will help me with my choice. I also would like to know about the front HP d30. Thanks for any help guys. JOE
what are you changing it to? from?

sloppyjoe said:

If the Jeep has 3:55 gears then yes you will have to change the carrier to run 4:10 or lower gears. The cut-off to use the same carrier is 3:73. Same with the front carrier.

Yes, both front and rear need to be changed

sry to highjack

Would it increase or decrease the gas mileage
regearing 3.55 to 4.10 or 4.56 with 32in tires?
anyone?

115 posts and you dont know how to search?

fawken A

dude im gonnan go ahead and brek it to ya.. if this rig is to be wheeled, go ahead and replace the thirty five. dont waste the money on a weak axle..

im guessing you are wanting to change to 4.56 gears for 32-33's?

if you are then i would definately replace it, i have a friend who broke a 35 shaft on the trail "tj with 31" mtr's and a track-lock"

Just got off the phone with my shop guy and we have both made the choice....... SWAP IT! I have not chosen what to swap it with but I will narrow the search. I had planned to swap it at first but, did not want to waste the $ until I could justify the swap. Well it is justified I broke this crappy 35 and now I am getting something else. It left me on the trail until I got some help. I was helplessly broke down and it sucked. Thanks for the help guys ,but we can cash this thread in b/c I am getting rid of the 35. JOE

sloppyjoe said:
Just got off the phone with my shop guy and we have both made the choice....... SWAP IT! I have not chosen what to swap it with but I will narrow the search. I had planned to swap it at first but, did not want to waste the $ until I could justify the swap. Well it is justified I broke this crappy 35 and now I am getting something else. It left me on the trail until I got some help. I was helplessly broke down and it sucked. Thanks for the help guys ,but we can cash this thread in b/c I am getting rid of the 35. JOE

aint it funny i posted that right before you posted??? :lecture:

C85D4x4 said:
Yes, both front and rear need to be changed

sry to highjack

Would it increase or decrease the gas mileage
regearing 3.55 to 4.10 or 4.56 with 32in tires?
anyone?

Wherever did you read that?

Not that I'd advise it, but a 3.55 D35 (or either 8.25) carrier can take higher # gears. The 5-spd 3.07 carrier won't.

I'd expect a minor improvement going to higher # gears with larger tires.

So Joe Killed his mighty 35... Somedays Glasshoppa is Dog, other days Glasshoppa is Hydlant. :dunno: :viking:

Back