• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on fluid coolers...

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I know that auto transmission coolers are fairly important, but how many of you guys are running oil and power steering fluid coolers? I know there is some benefit to using them, but I'm going to be replacing my radiator and upgrading my OEM tranny cooler (and removing from radiator circuit), and wanted to know if I should put on an oil and/or power steering cooler (or just run synthetic to reduce friction and therefore heat).

cherokeekid said:
I run a Power steering cooler, one of the best things I ever did.

I did the same thing and agree completly that its one of the better things I have done. I can run all day on the trail and my power steering pump and box wont make noise, be responsive and not lag behind, and should last longer all because it runs cooler.

AARON

I just bought engine oil and trans coolers made by Perma Cool. Hopefully I'll find the time to install them soon. Power steering cooler...hmmm. Sounds like a good idea.

MrShoeBoy said:
I did the same thing and agree completly that its one of the better things I have done. I can run all day on the trail and my power steering pump and box wont make noise, be responsive and not lag behind, and should last longer all because it runs cooler.

AARON

More info fellas. Type, installation issues, where youbought them etc etc etc :D

Maybe I'll convert the stock tranny cooler to a PS cooler and get a bigger tranny cooler to use and bypass the radiator.

Not many opinions on motor oil coolers? They just use an adapter between the filter and the filter mount right?

I couldnt tell you where I got my cooler. I took it from my dads Impala SS when he trashed the auto tranny and swaped in a T-56 6 speed manual :) The cooler was a larger aftermarket tranny cooler.

As for install issues...None. My pump and box went out in a catostraphic failure so I replaced everything at once. New box, pump, hoses, cooler, and external power steering fluid filter. Everything came from Autozone with a lifetime warrenty :D I have been through 3 boxes before I found a good one...Good thing they replace them for life.

AARON

Back