• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First post, Front axle question

Bigjake223

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I just bought a 1985 xj chief. I got a real steal on it. I have been putting the 2.8 liter back together after a head gasket replacement and noticed the front passenger side wheel in leaning way in at the top! I looked at the axle to see if it was bent but it doesnt look like it is. Whats up with this??? Is this a common thing for this front axle?? Could the knuckel be bent?? How can i fix this thing? I have access to certified welders and all the fab work i need done. Do i truss???? any help or ideas short of front end replacement would be great!
I got a good deal on this thing so i want to get her going! She has a 3 inch lift, 8000lb ramsey with ramsey bumper, 31x1050s on 10inch wide white spokes, sun roof, power everything and a auto tranny! I dont need to do any serious wheeling. Just going down some rutted up logging roads to get to the fishing hole! So no dana 44s here! " i know i should of kept that free scout 2 with the good drivetrain!! Oh well. Thanks, Bigjake

It sounds as if this rig might have been used pretty heavily, so bending is possible, but before you look for bends, jack it up at that side, and see if the upper ball joint is bad. Jack it up just a little by the axle tube, then put a big lever under the wheel and try to lift. Watch the ball joints, especially the upper ones, for movement. None at all is acceptable.

Back