• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Discos= wingnut woes:(

pbandj

NAXJA Forum User
I checked the archives first (like any good newbie should) and didn't find anyone else complaining about breaking homemade discos, so I am weighing in (with my hefty single digit post count) and warning that if you are like me and you live in alaska and you beat the crap out of your rather stock 88 xj then you should not make your own discos! my primary form of entertainment for the winter has been abusing my jeep on the beach, primarily jumping little wind dunes and scraping and slamming over endless fields of big rocks and through tidepools (thank goodness the frost is breaking up and I can recoat my undercarriage with a good anti-corrosive mud mask:) anyway, can anyone sympathize with me on breaking perfectly good end links or at least conjecture where I went wrong?

I've just got to ask.....If you were offroading (doing the things that would do the most damage to them) why didn't you have them disconnected like they were intended for?

What actually broke? If it's just the end link, it sounds like a good excuse to buy some JKS disco's! :laugh3:

you may have a point, they should've been disconnected every time while using my undercarriage as a rock crusher, but driving 40+mph down the beach and jumping sand and gravel is not a good time to be flexy!!! that is the ULTIMATE death wobble!

If you droop the axle all the way out it's possible to bend the top of the sway bar link when using the stock links. After getting bent a few times they can fatigue and break......I guess. I've bent mine and bent them back numerous times without any trouble.

You could be breaking them from hitting the tops on the inside of the wheel well, especially if you're jumping it. Two things.......if you jump your rig you're very likely to break something.......if you're wheeling take off the sway bar links, which is why you made them quick disconnet with the wing nuts.

the first thing that broke was a hitch pin, then I snapped the bolt that the hitch pin clips into, finally sometime later I sheared a wingnut and lost an upper bushing and just wired the swaybar out of the way.... I was pretty impressed after fully disconnecting front and rear sways and using longer shocks with stock suspension, this thing can stuff and droop quite well from the factory... heck- who needs a lift!? I just want to weld up the rear, do a little more sheetmetal relocation to fit 32's and I'll be a happy camper:)

Back