• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Shakes

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
My Girlfriends stock Jeep..... after getting to a certain speed anywhere from 50mph and up will shake while breaking, and now it continues to shake even when she takes her foot off the pedal.. you can feel it both in the steering as well as break pedal. The shaking has got a lot worse in the past few months. We've changed the brakes, rotors, shocks had the tire balanced as well as having her car aligned. We are going down the list of what could be wrong... Any Ideas?

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
My Girlfriends stock Jeep..... after getting to a certain speed anywhere from 50mph and up will shake while breaking, and now it continues to shake even when she takes her foot off the pedal.. you can feel it both in the steering as well as break pedal. The shaking has got a lot worse in the past few months. We've changed the brakes, rotors, shocks had the tire balanced as well as having her car aligned. We are going down the list of what could be wrong... Any Ideas?
I'd take another look at the brake rotors. How long ago were they replaced?

Replace control arm bushings & steering stabilizer, check track bar and track bar frame bracket for play.

What are the alignment specs?

k i have had the tires balanced the lugs are tight...... the steering stabelizer has been changed and the rotors are less then a year old...... i am going to i will check the wheel bearing and track bar...

Don't for get the ball joints, TRE's, and the fact even though the roters are new they still could be bad. They seem to suffer if the lug are tightened to much. 92 could have ABS too. I belive it was a option from the very start.

the rotors may only be a year old, but not too many things can explain a pulsating peddle. Consider that XJ's are known to have warping rotor problems.

If Tire balance was a problem, you'd have the shaking around 50MPH without using the brakes.

Wheel bearings rarely have anything to do with this type of problem

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
rotors where bought then turned a week latter and that was less then a month ago because they said that they could be warped so...........
are you tightening the lugs in a star pattern, with a torque wrench?

Back