• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things that go 'pop' in the night...

98JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've been trying to track down this popping noise for a few months now with no success. It happens most, if not all times, when I'm making a turn at parking lot speed, into a parking space, down a row of spaces, etc... When it first started happening, I checked the ball joints and found that the 2 on the right side had a good bit of slop in them and that the left side ones were just starting to get loose. I changed the right side, followed by the left side a few weeks later. The noise didn't go away. Last week, I had a few extra bucks so I decided to throw in a new track bar. Well, the noise still hasn't gone away.

I checked the steering box-to-frame bolts and they are tight. When I check the steering linkage, (on the ground and jacked up with no weight on anything) I can't find anything loose. But I'm guessing that the tie rod ends are the next logical thing to try. I think that whatever it is, isn't worn enough to feel loose with no weight on it but can be felt turning with the full weight of the vehicle on it. Could there be something I'm overlooking?

I should also add that it only pops when I'm turning while moving slowly. It won't do it turning the wheels while sitting still. It's one single pop, and it happens while turning in either direction...

TIA

Chad

my first guess would be loose trackbar. second guess is bad tie rod end.

Front U-joints will pop, trac bar. trac bar top mount and ball joints are the usual culprits. Had the joint at the pitman arm go bad, but don´t remember any popping. But have had everything from loose carrier bearings (more like a clang), to rounded spring pads (more of a clunk), through a sprung fender make a pop. Had a YJ that would pop, everytime I turned into the driveway, drove me nuts, till I figured out it was the fender. I´d tweaked the front bumper (maybe the frame) and I guess it loaded up the body a bit.

Sounds like a loose track bar. I had the exact same problem, and looked where the track bar was mounted on the passenger side, saw there was a tiny gap that would let the track bar move back and forth, so I tightened the bolt and it went away. I still have a little gap, so I plan on getting a washer to fill that.

It's stock height. When I changed the track bar, I made sure that both mounting points were tight and not "wallered out." It's definitely coming from the left side. So, I'm thinking either pitman arm tie rod end or left wheel tie rod end. I haven't decided which I'll throw at it first...

Thanks for the ideas guys

Chad

cherries...

i agree with the trackbar

XJ_ranger said:
cherries...

i agree with the trackbar

Me too. Mine is doing the same thing. start it up and have a friend get in and turn the steering wheel back and forth. watch the frame mount end of the trac bar move and pop. Mine also only does this at slow speeds like in parking lots.

Have the same problem on 94 4WD, changed both front driveshafts (U-joints on both sides were loose), L and R hub assemblies (both were loose), L and R upper and lower ball joints (some were worn), checked all other joints, on stands and off, no slop visible, checked all bolts, all seemed tight, am going to swap out the L outer tie rod end, it seems to be the only possibility outside of a track bar.

Well I have the same exact popping noise as well.Rubicon 5.5 lift, ajustable track bar and drop.I torqued the heck out of the trackbar bolts, checked the ball joints, the u-joints, have C-Roks inner and outter plates, steering box seems fine, just put on custom cross over steering, no help.This is driving me nuts.Pops only at very slow speeds in and out of driveway, parking lots etc.Started happening 2 or 3 months ago.Haven't even been offroad in the time since it started popping.I was out at Dave Turner Motorsports yesterday (the Jeepspeed guys) and he stuck his head under there as I slowly backed out and turned the wheel.We got it to pop several times.Has him perplexed as well.Anxious to hear more on other possible solutions.

98JeepXJ said:
Well, I've been trying to track down this popping noise for a few months now with no success. It happens most, if not all times, when I'm making a turn at parking lot speed, into a parking space, down a row of spaces, etc... When it first started happening, I checked the ball joints and found that the 2 on the right side had a good bit of slop in them and that the left side ones were just starting to get loose. I changed the right side, followed by the left side a few weeks later. The noise didn't go away. Last week, I had a few extra bucks so I decided to throw in a new track bar. Well, the noise still hasn't gone away.

I checked the steering box-to-frame bolts and they are tight. When I check the steering linkage, (on the ground and jacked up with no weight on anything) I can't find anything loose. But I'm guessing that the tie rod ends are the next logical thing to try. I think that whatever it is, isn't worn enough to feel loose with no weight on it but can be felt turning with the full weight of the vehicle on it. Could there be something I'm overlooking?

I should also add that it only pops when I'm turning while moving slowly. It won't do it turning the wheels while sitting still. It's one single pop, and it happens while turning in either direction...

TIA

Chad

I have 96 with the same problem. The only 2 things I have not eliminated are front shock bushings and control arms. My lift kit needs updated so this will be done soon. I will pay extra close attention to this thread. I will post if I find the solution.

BA

I have this exact same problem too. A popping/ping noise come from the right side only at very slow speeds. Feels like something is catching with each tire rotation but sometimes it isn't consistent...like a lack of rhythm (could be because a cracker like me is driving it). It also seems to stop when I apply the brakes. When I apply the brakes I can kinda feel that "catch" in the brake pedal.

My previous experience with the loose track bar is that it popped only when I turned the wheel.

Actually, mine just started today after I got a buttload of Colorado clay splattered all over the underside of my jeep. I noticed it did it once before a while back and I might have gotten it a little muddy then too.

It's gone now, I can't get it to do it again...weird...must have been a rock or something? I wonder where a rock could have gotten caught to make that much noise?

Just had mine looked at with the exact same symptoms but it sounded like it was coming from the right side. Looks like it could be the ball joints. My mechanic jacked up one of the wheels, stuck a very long pry bar between the tire and the concrete and pried up and down. There is play in both the top and bottom ball joints, almost 1/8" on the right side. The left side is still tight. Damn, and my XJ only has 75K miles. Do these go out that quick?

Has anyone ever found a solution for this? I can' t believe that no one has had success stopping this sound. Mine does the 'pop' every time I pull in and out of a parking space and I have a 4" lift. I will try tightning the frame mount bolts and let you know if it helps.

Try checking the upper control arm bushings on the axle! I have seen then move just enough to make noise! The bushings are pressed fit and they will move if they have become worn when the axle is being shifted under a load during a turn!

Brian

my xj makes the same noise, it started first on the passenger side, but after i was wheeling and broke my lca mount off the frame and had it welded properly welded back on, it stopped for a week. now it seems to be doing it on the drivers side. i checked my truck out and everything is tight except for the wheel bearings/hubs. changing them tomorow ill post back and let you know if that fixed it.

You might like to try checking the front wheel bearings - a friend of mine has a 93 Grand Cherokee with full-time 4X4. He initially thought it was the viscous coupler but it ended up being one of the front wheel bearings....

I'm really starting to lean towards it being worn out control arm bushings. I was exploring an old trail last weekend. One section was very rocky and twisty (meaning a lot of suspension travel/movement); and it was popping and clicking ALOT. I was mostly feeling/hearing it through the floorboard. Being that everything else up front has been replaced, I'm figuring on CA bushings. I'll probably get around to replacing them in the next few weeks I guess...

Chad

Back