• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone have a picture of the dash?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Or a diagram from an owner's manual for an 88 XJ/MJ?

I am curious as to what light is supposed to be where.

I've got two lights. Seatbelt, and upshift.

I would have expected at least a brake and a check engine.

Thanks.

If you have the 4.0 theres no check engine light but you should have brake light i have a 90 cherokee i think it has the same gauge layout and light i can copy it from my owners book if you want..

I took my dash apart to check it out.

The reason I'm asking is for smog in CA.

I was told that if the check engine light doesn't function properly, you fail.

Well, on my 88 with 4.0, there is an Emissions Maint or some such. And, the bulb associated with it looks good.

So, when I fire the truck up, that light does not come on. Not when turning the key to the on position or anything. should I be worrying?

Check/clean the contacts and connector on the back of the cluster?

I took apart my instrument panel last week (installing a new stereo), and I changed the bulbs back there for good measure. I thought I had put everything back together correctly, but I was NOT getting seat belt and brake warning lights -- the exact opposite of yours.

Turns out that I hadn't plugged the connector in all the way.

That light wont come on untill you need a new O2 sensor. It is connected to a timer under the dash just above where your left knee would be. This timer only runs when the ignition is on or in accessory possition ( not necessarily the engine running though).. The timer will stop after a preset amount of time and when it does the light will come on. However if the timer is unpluged the light will go off. This seems to more commonly be the case. If you listen closely with the engine off but the key on you should hear a ticking if it still works. Your O2 sensor should be replaced about every 70-80,000 miles (I think?) any way so if you havent then you are probably overdue. And while your at it just pick up a new timer because they are cheap IIRC. Its one less thing that you will have to remember to do.

What does the timer look like?

I have another post up with random wires under my dash which aren't plugged in. I wonder if the time could go in one of these.

The guy before me replaced the o2 sensor, as he thought it'd gone bad, but didn't make it run better.

The contacts on the back are remarkably clean.

And, good to know about that light's function, thanks.

This is a picture of the timer its self. yours may be screwed in place on the lower dash pannel if its still there.

This is the wires on the connector, Orange w/white tracer, black and gray.

this is the end of the connector for the timer.

Hope this helps you. Chances are it wont be there or it will be unpluged if, like you say, the O2 has been replaced. By the way I have mine zip tied to another module under the dash so disreguard the wires behind it. Its just the thing with the gears.

Last edited:
I definately don't have that thing.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54333

And, is it me, or is your connector like the second one in my post?

Kinda looks like there are more wires goin to the timer, but I assume they are for the wipers, and just behind it?

Any idea what that other connector in my other post could be? the one with the blue wire?

Thanks for the help, one issue solved.

Back