• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need xj experts knowledge on climate controls

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 cherokee sport has great cold air. and great heat.

my problem is when i turn the dial from all face blowing fan area, or from face area to feet and face area? doesn't seem to be much differance in the way the air blows .

when it's all face the force of the fan blowing sounds alot, but doesnt seem to put out much force. and air is still blowing in the defrost area some.
and when i turn it to feet and face, seems the same.

i have noticed that no matter what dial setting, there is alot of air still blowing toward the windsheild , like defrost area.

is this normal? or is there something wrong with it.
thanks

On the early XJ's air always coming from the defrosters is a symptom of a vacuum leak causing the air doors not to actuate correctly. Maybe someone can say if the same holds for the newer models.

Could be the vaccuum actuator arm to the left of the radio behind the knee blocker plate they sometimes break or pull out of the box or check under the hood for the vaccuum hard plastic line that runs from the cruise servo to reservoir the controls go to the default position defrost when there is a problem. :repair:

I had sorta the same problem on my '91 XJ. The cruise control didn't work either. I traced out the vac lines and found that the line was not capped off below the battery. I haven't road tested it yet to see if the cruise is working, but the air (defrost, vent, heat) now blows where it should. Try looking for a vac leak in the hard line that runs along the firewall to the cruise control unit.

TBCherokee said:
My 2001 cherokee sport has great cold air. and great heat.

my problem is when i turn the dial from all face blowing fan area, or from face area to feet and face area? doesn't seem to be much differance in the way the air blows .

when it's all face the force of the fan blowing sounds alot, but doesnt seem to put out much force. and air is still blowing in the defrost area some.
and when i turn it to feet and face, seems the same.

i have noticed that no matter what dial setting, there is alot of air still blowing toward the windsheild , like defrost area.

is this normal? or is there something wrong with it.
thanks

You are always going to get some air flow to the defrost, but most should be where you want it. It could be like john290xj said, weak vacuum, or control head.

blowing only into defrost and the floor is a default when there's A/ a vacuum leak like these other guys are talking about or B/ the electronic actuator is not being told what to do by the control head. i'm pretty sure it would be electronic. you really need a schematic to diagnose this properly I'll try to find one for ya.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/liltrouble222/vacuum.gif

ok man looks like it's all vacuum even on an '01 here's a vacuum schematic the most likley cause would be in the vacuum reservoir which is behind the passenger bumper. hopefully the vacuum line came off but it could be a break in any of those lines. There are also a couple of check valves that could be faulty. good luck man hope that helps. DIRT

Defrost is the default, all are vacuum, temp door on 84-98 are cable operated and 99-01 temp door are electrically actuated.

Drove the XJ to work last night, heater worked awsome, but still no cruise control. I just bought it used, so I have to work out a few bugs in it yet. Any thoughts out there on my cruise problem? Also, what does anybody think of the TB spacers on the market? Good or waste of $$$.

drifter01 said:
Drove the XJ to work last night, heater worked awsome, but still no cruise control. I just bought it used, so I have to work out a few bugs in it yet. Any thoughts out there on my cruise problem? Also, what does anybody think of the TB spacers on the market? Good or waste of $$$.

Have the engine controller read for codes on the speed control for 91-01 and see what comes up.

Thanks MJR. I might just run up to the local Zone and see what comes up. I just printed off a cruise control system diagnostics manual I had downloaded. I might check out the components first. Like I said, I just bought my XJ and don't have a Chiltons yet, Twilight Zone was out of em, but have been wrenching on my other vehicles. I would like to thank everyone in the forum for even the slightest bit of info.

drifter01 said:
Thanks MJR. I might just run up to the local Zone and see what comes up. I just printed off a cruise control system diagnostics manual I had downloaded. I might check out the components first. Like I said, I just bought my XJ and don't have a Chiltons yet, Twilight Zone was out of em, but have been wrenching on my other vehicles. I would like to thank everyone in the forum for even the slightest bit of info.

I would suggest the factory manual as the Only way to go.

Thanks for all the advise guys!
I took it to the dealer and the tech. checked stuff out and said i needed a new vacum canister and line?

but when i got in it and started home! wow!!!!!!!!!!!
lots of air blew from the vents???????????
i think it was the actuator door? could have been stuck. and when he fooled with it , it unstuck?!
what do you guys think? They want 200. dollar to do the canister and line, but everything is working fine now.

MJR, gonna look on ebay to see whats on there for mans. The tech man I downloaded is right from Chrysler and covers Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Grand Wagoneer. It is for '93, but I figured it would get me goin (gronin!) in the right direction. Thanx for the help.

drifter01 said:
MJR, gonna look on ebay to see whats on there for mans. The tech man I downloaded is right from Chrysler and covers Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Grand Wagoneer. It is for '93, but I figured it would get me goin (gronin!) in the right direction. Thanx for the help.

Anytime.

The heater is working great. My vac canister was missing, so I "borrowed' one from my totaled '87 Suburban ( the reason I have my XJ now). It wouldn't run very well after being t-boned by a loaded tri axle dump truck. All I can say is I'm damn glad for full size trucks. The only thing I hate about having a Jeep is....... I should've bought one sooner. Good luck .

Back