• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000XJ rear main seal

GreenXJ2K

NAXJA Forum User
noticed some oil buildup near the rear main seal. Took it to the shop, he said its non-critical. Id like to fix it my self. As I do all the work on the jeep myself, I read some info about it at http://www.jeepin.com/features/rearmain/index.asp, it looks fairly straight forward. The shop said it would be about 2 days work and cost me a nice 500-600, and they would have to drop the tranny. from that site, it says the opposite, and something that could be done in a afternoon. The question: what are the torque specs for the bearing cap bolts? Is it really simple as that website says it is? anything else i need besides a torque wrench, and gasket maker (permatex #2?). On the other hand, its just a small buildup, and there never is any drip, the shop dude said not to worry about it, that all jeeps do it.

Thanks to all in advance

John H.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to fix it, it isn't really that hard, you do not need to drop the tranny and should be able to get the pan out with it up on jackstands if it isn't lifted. If it is lifted you shouldn't even need jackstands. You will need a brass punch or something similar to get the old upper seal out of the block. As long as you follow the article you should be fine. Get the one piece gasket when you put it back together.

Back