• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting to 2 gauge, need idea for...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
a cheap substitute for crimping tool. Someone at work I think said a vise and maybe some sort of piece of triangular shaped metal comes close, but still plan to solder and heat shrink anyway.

Really on a budget, any ideas are appreciated (what a cliche').

Thanks...

I used a vise for my first 1 or 2 connections, and they didn't turn out too well. Held fine, but looked ghetto and didn't make me feel too confident. I was watching american hotrod and saw how they made thier battery cables. Strip the 2 guage so it slides in to the copper terminal, place the terminal in a vice and use a propane torch (or similar) to heat up the terminal, and then fill it with solder, then slide the cable/wire into the connector and hold it for a few seconds to let cool. Remove from the vise and let cool completely. I put a bolt through the terminal after it was fully cooled and pulled on the wire with all my weight and it didn't come out. It was a strong connection and looks nice too.

Thats how I would do any larger gauge connection now if I were using over 8awg cable.

-Tim

A bunch o' great ideas, I think I can combine a couple of them, got a needlenose visegrip that I think will crunch the terminal and maintain the round shape of it.

I pass this welding shop everyday going to work, skippin' a couple of lunches (need to drop weight anyway) makes sense.

Thanks big time,

Your local welding shop should have the hydrolic crimp tool for the ends. I just order the cable in the size needed, and they crimp the ends on for me no charge... Maybe just ask them and see what happens...

I did what both shops I asked said they do for crimping on ends, just use a hammer. They're copper ends so they're pretty malleable and a few taps with a normal hammer (you don't even need a BFH.... :laugh3: ) will crimp them right on. The guys guaranteed me that solder wouldn't even be needed. I figure that if it works for the industrial welders they set up, it should work for my XJ. A couple wraps of electrical tape on top of that and they work great. I used this method on both 1 guage and 4 guage.

Back