• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom RockRails

powerman330

NAXJA Forum User
I want i project to do this spring. So i decided i want to build some custom rockrails. I like the look of the AJ rails but i don't have the money to buy them. Anyone got any plans on how to build some of these things. thanks

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

Tim_MN said:
http://www.fototime.com/7480C21CBE27C58/orig.jpg
Those look a lot like the Rocky Road rockrail/steprail, and they don't do enough to reinforce the rail to prevent it flexing up into the body. Needs some reinforcement...

Do you think there should be more legs to the frame? It seems there should be a leg connecting to the frame right in the middle? I really don't know i am just asking.

powerman330 said:
Do you think there should be more legs to the frame? It seems there should be a leg connecting to the frame right in the middle? I really don't know i am just asking.

you dont need that many support beams. I only put 2 on mine when I made them and they've held up fine.

f67daacd.jpg

f67dac50.jpg

If not more legs, then beefier ones. The guy that built my rails based them off that design as well before we realized they didn't provide enough upward support. He has since upgraded the design but I haven't seen anything recently to see how he did that.

There have been numerous threads on the subject; I can't recall the membername right now but he's got a white Jeep with gold rails...and a pretty solid design.

Yucca-Man said:
If not more legs, then beefier ones. The guy that built my rails based them off that design as well before we realized they didn't provide enough upward support. He has since upgraded the design but I haven't seen anything recently to see how he did that.

There have been numerous threads on the subject; I can't recall the membername right now but he's got a white Jeep with gold rails...and a pretty solid design.

upward support? if they are tied into the pinch seam there should be no problem with upward support only using 2 legs.

That totally depends on those legs, as the pinch seam turns into a fulcrum if the legs aren't strong enough to suppport the weight.

Yucca-Man said:
That totally depends on those legs, as the pinch seam turns into a fulcrum if the legs aren't strong enough to suppport the weight.

maybe i'm missing something but the entire pinch seam AND "frame" rail would absorb the impact evenly and distribute the force.

Take a look at the pic again. Step-Rails just make it worse, but setting the rail on a rock transfers weight up into the pinch seam, and down into the frame. The long length of the leg for its relatively small size is what causes it to bend up into the body.

Puma297 said:
upward support? if they are tied into the pinch seam there should be no problem with upward support only using 2 legs.

You would think:

160_6087.JPG

I don't think there is a "good" design. But it all depends on the type of wheeling you'll be doing. RRO rails were 0 for 2 when we did the rubicon last year. Even C4x4 rails caused slight damage to the rocker on the that trip though not nearly like shown in the picture. Maybe it was because he was runnning 35s and I had 33s, or maybe they're a little better, doesn't really matter, they both didn't work.

Two arms suck. Three don't work with all TCase skids. Four triangulated arms with large unibody mounts that mount to more than one plane and a pinch seam mount work out pretty dang good at distributing the force of impact, won't bow in the middle, and work with all TCase skids.

100_1084.jpg

100_1074.jpg

Good stuff - thanks GottaBe. Basalt, I think your pic helped make my point better than my babble. Thanks...

If yoiu could design the slider so it sits flush against the rocker panel, the sheet metal will distribute the whole load! Everything else is there to hold it in place. It it doesn't need to attach to the whole pinch seam and you don't need more than two legs. The slider just needs to sit flush against the rocker and you'll be golden. I have yet to see a single design that does that. My vote is for boxing in the rockers. If you have the skills to make sliders, then you can weld box steel in there.

i really don't wheel that much. The reason i want rockrails is many for when i go mudding and hit some major ruts. My friend has an XJ and he dented his rocker while we were mudding. I don't have to many places where is rock. Well thats the reason

Back