• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loses power, rpms drop cuts off

The Blu Yak

NAXJA Forum User
So Id like to start off by introducting myself, Names Ryan. Now then I have a 86 cherokee chief 2.8 v6. A few weks ago it was stuck in the mud for 4 days, the water/mud was not above the radiator. Now I finally drove it last night for the first time, it drove fine for the first 500 feet, I stop to have a word with a neighbor. I leave the jeep running, and once im done I get back in it and drive another 100 feet, The rpms start droping and the engine kinda sputters and shuts off. I look very confused and start it back up, starts up fine. I back up and continue to drive another 20 feet and it does it again. Start it back up and continue to try to get home, it starts to sputter so I disengage the clutch a little bit and give it more gas, it jerks and acts like its the hardest thing in the world to pull its wieght. I finall make it home with it shutting off a few more times, Im putting my doors back on and ill let it idle, it idles by itself for a few min and then sputters and dies. By that time its like 9 30 so Im done for the night. I havnt been back to try to start it again or drive it, But im quite confused on what could be causing it
Thanks for taking the time to read and ponder
Ryan

Hey, I'm not trying to be rude but that's about the most open ended question I've seen on here. I don't know how much you know about vehicles, but there is a lot that can go wrong with them. That is not the kind of question you can get answered over the internet, you're gonna have to do some tinkering and try and narrow things down a bit, or take it to a mechanic.

You might have water in your gas!!! Sounds like it anyway. If you left it partially submerged for a while you would be wise to drain the fluids and change. Some dry gas or dump it and do a new tankfull would surely be a good idea too.

Thats what ive been hearing, maybe ive gotten water in to my fuel line/filter somehow, Im actually taking it to a mechanic tomorrow because lack of time to tinker and such. With the furnature market here in high point ive been busy like crazy and dont have much time to tinker and explore unfortently. But I will let yall know how it comes out
Ryan

Back