• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon D44 questions

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Besides the spring mounts in the back are the Rubi D44's much different than the standard D44. If so what are the differences. Are they aluminum ? and do all of them come with the E lockers ?

If we're comparing them to XJ D44's then here goes:

The rear end is virtually the same - *slightly* shorter shafts (1/8" or so), but are interchangible with XJ D44's.

XJ D44 outer retaining plate has a different bolt pattern and the Rubi's have a 1/8" lip/spacer for the disc brakes. The XJ D44 axle flange can be redrilled for the Rubi retainer if you wanna run ZJ discs or Rubi brakes.

Rubi rears are "real" D44's, ie: no aluminum. All of them have OEM lockers.

The fronts are 44 center sections with D30 outers, more on this if you need the info - but there should be plenty of info if you search.

Last edited:
Thats pretty much it, are they a good option to replace a say a 35, 8.25 and D30 ? If so I guess I'm gonna have to go rent a truck real quick...

I have seen it posted and in JP magizine that the Rubicon 44's have thin wall tubes, just like the 35.Also they use special gear if you stick with the factory locker.

xjspyder said:
I have seen it posted and in JP magizine that the Rubicon 44's have thin wall tubes, just like the 35.Also they use special gear if you stick with the factory locker.

True on both accounts, however, all TJ D44s have the thin "D35" tubes.

But, depending on how much $ you pay for them, they'll be a good deal, also depends on what tire size you runnin.

truss it up

91 Jeep Project said:
A TJ 44 rear and a Rubi 44 rear are different axles; make sure you know which one you are after........... :lecture:

Also quoting the differences would be nice......... :rolleyes:

Are you saying they are different axles, or just have different carriers?

xjspyder said:
Also they use special gear if you stick with the factory locker.

Yes, they do use a thick ring gear - currently limited to 4.56 with the factory differential.

Goatman said:
Are you saying they are different axles, or just have different carriers?

Different axles if you consider that the flanges, tubes, and OEM diffs are not the same.

However, if you're stripping them down and putting custom brakes, gears, differential, etc. in - then the finished product is _basically_ the same.

Back