• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6" lift LP30. what do i need up front?

jeepkid2000

NAXJA Member # 1494
i am putting a six inch lift from FT on my '00 XJ. ive been looking at swapping the LP30 for a HP30 out of an older XJ. what do i need to make the LP30 work? i was thinking just a longer driveshaft and thats it? are there more benefits to a HP30 than just not needing a new front driveshaft? when im looking for a new HP30, should i look for one with or without disconnect? what would my LP30 be(disconnect?)? i have searched and found no straight answer to my question. thanks for the help

i will be running nothing bigger than 33's, might locked the front later.

Keep what you got. I had RE 5.5" on my '00 XJ and it was fine. I wouldn't waste the time of swapping from a LP to HP d30, they both can handle a max tire size of 35", so 33s will work just fine with either. The HP d30 is a tad stronger, but not much. All TJs have LP d30s, don't see many of them with 6" lift and 35s do you, lol.

If you just have to have a hp d30 look for (around) '94 or '95 - '99 XJ D30. With 33s there is no real point and with LAs you should have zero vibes from your axle being a LP.

Last edited:
rangerjoe2001 said:
i would think you need a shorter one

Please explain. After the lift the front axle will be farther away from the transfer case, why would he need a shorter front shaft?

well yes the front axle is further away from the transfer case but you will be using the hp 30 which will put the disstance closer. thus cancelling out

i have about 5 inches in the front and didnt need a longer front ds..

Big DaveXJ said:
Please explain. After the lift the front axle will be farther away from the transfer case, why would he need a shorter front shaft?
Actually with stock type arms/mounts, the arms move in an arc and they move the axle back when dropped out thus bottoming out the yoke.

you probably won't need a new driveshaft. I just picked up a $15 HP30 last weekend and have been rebuilding it. the hp30 will give you a little extra strength and an additional 4" of driveshaft clearance. IMO its a worthwhile upgrade.

My son and i just did that on a oo xj the drive length is half an inch diff, so no changes needed, they say a hp is about 30% stronger because the location of the gears, a lp is a rear axle in front and upside down for its origional design.

Back