• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speeding ticket anwswer

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
well i got a speeding ticket. so i got my jeep recalibrated and i think it was 9 mph off. so they told me to get a speedo gear with 3 less teeth. well i had 34 teeth on my stock gear, so i ordered a new one with 31 teeth from the jeep dealer. when it came in, i compared it to my stock one and the actual size of the gear is SMALLER than the other one. i put it in and my speedometer didnt even work at all!. so i had to put my old one in. i have court on wednesday. i guess i wasted my money because their gonna make me pay the fine. did i do something wrong? wouldnt the new gear have to be the same size as the old one but with only less teeth ? what i did was i took my friends TOTALED XJ and took HIS speedo gear off. and he has a STOCK gear but he has this ADAPTER thing on there. so i tried putting it on me. and it works. i can tell theres a MAJOR difference from before because before it was messed up , and now it feels better. but my question was, did this recalibrate it correct, or could my friends jeep have been different than miNE ??? well im getting it rechecked for calibration today. hopefully it worked. i was jjust wondering if i did anything wrong by doing this. thanks.
matt

when installing the new speedo gear there is a set of numbers on the gear housing. cant exactly remember the numbers but on mine i have a #32 gear the housing numbers will be like 30-34(dont quote me on the numbers) but they have to line up with the bottom slot on the t-case where the clip goes to hold the housing in. so just line up the numbers on the housing to match the gears and line up that set of numbers with the clip it should work... i installed mine 1/4 turn off and speedo didnt work.. reinstalled with numbers lined up and it worked... hope this isnt to confusing....

what tire size and gear ratio do you have?
as pointed out. you need to index the speedo gear. as in rotate the housing 90º to either the right or the left so that your speedo gear matches the range on the plug.

By the way - the 31 tooth gear will be smaller than the 34...the tooth spacing is the same so the diameter is smaller with fewer teeth.

I didn't read your post all the way though, so please disregard if this doesn't help you, but I've tried the speedo defense and (in CA at least), a conviction for speeding does NOT require any intent. This means that if you were going over the speed limit (per the officer's radar), you deserve the ticket. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Now, it is still possible to sell the judge, but don't bet all your chips.
HTH,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
I didn't read your post all the way though, so please disregard if this doesn't help you, but I've tried the speedo defense and (in CA at least), a conviction for speeding does NOT require any intent. This means that if you were going over the speed limit (per the officer's radar), you deserve the ticket. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Now, it is still possible to sell the judge, but don't bet all your chips.
HTH,
Billy

I think most of it is your attitude when you show up for court. I have gotten out of 2 one in CA and one im AZ on differnt xj's. All I had to do was show intent to correct the problem and THANK THEM for bringing it to my attention.

xjnation said:
I think most of it is your attitude when you show up for court. I have gotten out of 2 one in CA and one im AZ on differnt xj's. All I had to do was show intent to correct the problem and THANK THEM for bringing it to my attention.

Yeah, if it's up to the judge, my experience has been the same, but from what I've seen, if you have to talk to the ADA, you're screwed, cause they want the ticket to stick.
Billy

My wife got a speeding ticket (68 in a 55) in Greene County, VA coming home one night and swore up and down to the officer and then me that she knew she wasn't speeding, so we had it calibrated. She took the calibration readings before the judge, who noticed the reading on the speedo was only off by 1.2-1.8 mph depending on speed. The judge told her it was a "good effort" and knocked $30.00 off of the $60.00 ticket. The problem is, it cost me $35.00 to have the speedo calibrated. :laugh3:

ask for a calibration report for the officer's radar gun and his certification to use it... if it's dead reconed speed then drop a quarter and ask the officer "how fast was it going at the moment it hit the floor?" the answer it zero. In most states you have the right to question your accuser.

Back