• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed Guage Shakes at 25-50 MPH

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
well i have a 89 jeep cherokee pioneer with 6 inches of lift on 33's.

when i get to about 25-55 mph , my speed guage needle vibrates/shakes a little bit. now i put the SPEED adapter on my transfer case which re calibrated my speed so its correct, but even before i put the adapter in, it wobbled. is something loose , or why does this do it. it even did it before i put the lift on it. does it have something to do with my speedometer cable?

This was happening on my '90 a while back. All I did was pull the cluster, unhook the speedo cable from the back of it, grab the metal cable itself and pull it out about a half inch or more so it will stick a little further into the speedometer housing. Hook the cable back into the cluster and go for a drive. That worked for me. Don't know why but it did. Good luck.

Usually you need to just lubricate the cable itself. Pull the speedo cable loose from the back of the cluster. Now pull the inner cable out of the outer sheathing. It should come completely out. Just use some light grease, like white lithium, and lube the cable itself. Then just push it back in, hook it all up correctly and it should be good now. Common problem back in the day of speedo cables.

Bryan C. said:
Usually you need to just lubricate the cable itself. Pull the speedo cable loose from the back of the cluster. Now pull the inner cable out of the outer sheathing. It should come completely out. Just use some light grease, like white lithium, and lube the cable itself. Then just push it back in, hook it all up correctly and it should be good now. Common problem back in the day of speedo cables.
Ditto and also running the cable to avoid sharp bends at the transfer and firewall also helps. The cable is barley long enough.
Graphit grease used to be the recommended lubricant, in the old days.

Back