• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 funky shifting fix

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
So you say that your AW4 has been shifting weird lately? Like the thing won't kickdown when partial throttle is applied, seems sluggish in 3 and OD, wierd TC lockup, etc.........well here's what I did to solve all of these problems.

I checked the 7.5 amp Trans fuse on the fuse panel and guess what? :eek: Yes, even you slower folk can keep up here........it was blown........ and since my wife drives my XJ more than me, it could have been months since it blew and I just didn't notice the day and night difference in shifting performance. So I popped in a new fuse from my on-board stash and my Jeep drives like a new rig. :D :D

I'm curious as to why the fuse blew in the first place, but you can bet that I'll keep an eye on this from now. Don't you just love cheap, easy fixes?

I can't find my trans fuse. What year is yours? Mine has 97 electronics.

Scott Mac. said:
If you would of kept the gear jammer in there you wouldn't have these problems.:twak:

Yah, I could have just kept replacing leaky clutch masters that coated the fusebox with DOT3 juice every time:banghead:, and since I missed getting an AX15 by a month, they stuck a BA10/5:puke: in my 89. With 150K+ miles on it, 1st gear was getting hard to use when the rig was cold..........
I could have gone with a Tera Low, swapped in an AX15, installed a hand throttle, all of which would be much more costly than swapping in the AW4.......did I mention that I now have 2 pedals? And imagine that........I have 2 feet!! :moon:
My Jeep is much more fun to drive, both on and off road, especially when all I can see is Moab sky over my hood............not to mention less stress on the drive train.....embrace the technology, it doesn't hurt at all.......blah, blah, blah

Oh, my XJ is an 89, but my AW4 is from a 96. I run a TCU, which is seperate from the ECM. I think a 97XJ has the tranny controls integrated into the ECM, therefore the fused power circuitry could very well be different.

I found out this out the other night, while trouble shooting a bodies XJ, that the throttle body position sincere is very tired into the AW4. If you find that it’s not shifting right check it. Talking to some mechanics, this little box controls allot if stuff on your jeep, and can have all sorts of problem when it goes, hard starting, not shifting properly, rough idle
Just something to look at then next time you guys are trouble shooting.

i second the TPS as another cause of trans problems. i had an 89 XJ that one day started acting up after i got the engine wet.. it would shift thru all the ghears and hit o/drive before i hit 35 mph.. and would not kick down at all... regardless of throttle position... this makes merging on the highway real fun... if the fuse was your fix thats cool but i figured i'd throw this in there for others to read.
mike

Re:*Same old same old

thats the only good thing about living down inwhis cesspool called Louisi`na,`ue have`uhese wonderful speckled trout.

mountain trout sure are beautiful, but they are ro s|kll. HOWEVER yod"get to`fnjoy the mountains, and/we get`po play around in a marsh that smells like farts all day.

Back