• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshield crack repair....how much??

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
i got a star and a crack from it about 4" long off of it to one side. how much can i expect to pay to have it fixed at a repair shop?

Roughly $200 if I recall right. Check with your insurance, some of them cover it, but if your deductible is too high it's not worth it.

anything beyond the size of a quarter is unrepairable... you have to get a new windshield if you want it gone. I think I paid 75 after insurance for my new one last summer

Locally here I can get an XJ windshield for $110 cash installed.

im not talking about a new windshield....just fixing the star

olivedrabcj7 said:
im not talking about a new windshield....just fixing the star

Like he said, if it's larger then a quarter then it can't be fixed! Also if it"s in line of site then it can"t be fixed because it"s not clear> price when i had it tried on a care once it was $50.

jOBO

Ah come on! Don't be so cheap! For what your going to pay for a repair you could probably get a sparkling new windshield. Look in those free ad papers at the grocery store for a coupon ad for a windshield replacement special. I've had mine replaced for free using my car insurance. Nothing like a nice new clear windshield!

Shop around. Even in high-priced Connecticut I can get a NEW windshiled installed -- at my house -- for $125 to $150. Trying to repair a 4" crack will cost more than that, and probably won't succeed.

Penny wise = pound foolish

If you want to play with it before getting a new one you could pick up one of the repair kits they sell. They have a plastic suction cup type thing. Trick is to suck all the pieces out of the star and get it clean, you can even pick at it with a small metal pick or a thicker toothpick. You then put the filler in and the suction cup over it, then after its dry you use a straight razor that they sell in stores called a 'widget' yellow handle thing. I've played with a couple over time when I did not have the cash for a new windshield and in one case got me thru inspection.
When I was at lucent I watched a windshield repair guy do about 10 of them in the parking lot during lunch one day. He had some other tools, heat gun, UV lamp and a small suction pump. The crack though, never tried on of them. might though, daughters TJ has a small one that I might try now that the weather is warming up...

i would check with your insurance carrier. if i remember correctly, i paid a $100 deductable for new windshield.

I agree, but as long as he has it in there why not do a couple of experiments, it won't hurt anything and he/we might learn something.
SO KEEP TRACK of the kit you use, manufacturer and part number. If you can take some pics of 'before and after' that might help if it works...

If yours does like mine i had it repaired and when i went out on the trail the next time and flexed my xj the widow just cracked all the way across where the repair was still there too lol

Back