• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

regear question

cblevy98

NAXJA Forum User
i currently have the 3.07s in my jeep. i'm looking to step it up to 4.56s. when i do this what all will i need? ring and pinion obviously, but will i need a new carrier too? it is for a 89 xj, 5spd, d-30 and d-35.

will this gearing be over kill for 32s or 33s with my 5 spd?

oh yea i will eventually be locking front and rear too. looking to use an aussie in the front, but doesn't look like they offer a locker for the rear yet, any suggestions for the rear?

Last edited:
cblevy98 said:
i currently have the 3.07s in my jeep. i'm looking to step it up to 4.56s. when i do this what all will i need? ring and pinion obviously, but will i need a new carrier too? it is for a 89 xj, 5spd, d-30 and d-35.

will this gearing be over kill for 32s or 33s with my 5 spd?

oh yea i will eventually be locking front and rear too. looking to use an aussie in the front, but doesn't look like they offer a locker for the rear yet, any suggestions for the rear?
I would suggest getting that D35 out of there before locking, so i would suggest not even regearing until you have a new axle...IMHO

i know the 35 is garbage, but i'm working on a bit of a budget. i know the ideal way is to go d44 or 8.8, but i hear the 8.25 is better than the d35, maybe i can find one of them. something to just bolt right in to make my life a bit easier.

I don't know about the d35(mines an 8.25), but you will need a new carrier in the front.

Carrier Breaks:

D30 3.54 & down / 3.73 & up

D35 3.73 & down / 3.92 & up

If you have gears on the lower side of the break and want to put in gears on the upper side of the break, you will need a new carrier.

If you do much freeway driving I would suggest going no more than 4.10s with the 32's or 33's. Some here will not agree with me, but I'm speaking from personal experience. I just re-geared my 98 5 speed to 4.10s and 31" tires. With the 31" tires my speedo reads 78mph, when I'm really only going 60mph (GPS reading). Bottom line is I can't drive over 60mph now without destroying my fuel economy from to high rpms.

gears 3.07 to 4.10 = 33 percent gear change
gears 3.07 to 4.56 = 48 percent gear change

Tires 28" to 31" = 10 percent increase
Tires 28" to 33" = 18 percent increase

I do love the low gearing offroad though, just thought I'd give you a heads up if it's your daily driver.

Best Regards,
Mac

picked up a 8.25 for 100$ with 3.55s complete pull mine install the new one, also found a none disco'd d-30 for the front with the 3.55s. can't wait to install. i know its still not enough gear, but its better than 3.07s.

cblevy98 said:
picked up a 8.25 for 100$ with 3.55s complete pull mine install the new one, also found a none disco'd d-30 for the front with the 3.55s. can't wait to install. i know its still not enough gear, but its better than 3.07s.

did you happen to check the pattern before you pulled them? or are these complete axles?

setting up used gears for a non-disco d30 would be interesting to get them to ride quiet...

Back