• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got hitched

jblaze5779

NAXJA Forum User
Well i went to the boneyard last weekend and I finally got around to installing my 2inch hitch that I pulled off a '98 for my 91. I got he harness and the nutstrips and the hitch all for the low low price of 50 bucks, what a deal(the accessory shop down the street wanted around 200 for a new hitch). Also it fits right up under the bumper and took me and a buddy about 30 min to install using a couple wrenches and sockets.

Nice huh!!!!!!
dscn05975lq.jpg

Boy you can tell he does not live in the rust belt, up here it takes 30 min to remove one bolt...LOL, good score.. did you grab the plug in adapter from behind the taillight too ?

RichP said:
Boy you can tell he does not live in the rust belt, up here it takes 30 min to remove one bolt...LOL, good score.. did you grab the plug in adapter from behind the taillight too ?

X2.....If he lived up here he would have never got it off the one at the junkyard, let alone reinstalled in 30 minutes.

yeah I gotta put it in tomorrow and re-attach the wires from where the geniuses at the yard cut them

that 30min also included removing and reattaching the bumper

as far as rust goes you gotta love this West texas dry air and no road salt

I used to do service calls out there, serviced some equipment at an airforce base in del rio. Nice state, just god awful drive times to go anywhere. 3 calls, one in delrio, one in dallas and one in huston killed the better part of a 4 days...5 counting the flight home. If I lived there I sure would learn to fly....

especially with southwest airlines around it's way cheaper just to fly places. 39 bucks for most destinations and if you factor in the time saved along with the gas money there's no descison flying is the way to go

jeepguy97 said:
Where's the wife? How is this OEM tech?

its a Mopar HItch Receiver of Course ! Duh! (GRIN)

Good Job! I have to get my 2nd hitch installed on the 01, having brakes issues (truck wired for 6pin plug and trailer only has 5 wires... oh well..)

Cheers!

my 90 from the rust belt has a fine hitch, but it's corroded onto there PERMANENTLY i think. the body still looks good, so i'll leave it be after cleaning and painting it (and putting on a gas tank skid-that's where it will be a pain)

Just got me a MOPAR hitch about 2 months ago for $50 also and I think the guy said it came off a '98 even but didn't get the nut strips bolts or wires but did get a 1 7/8" ball, 1" drop ball mount, and pin

Ahh..

Nice work!

I got a Reese Hitch from the boneyard for 15$ and later found it interferes with the gastank skid... (stupid Reese)....

So I ended up cutting the gastank skid's rear mounting tabs off and clearancing it to fit up next to the hitch and then welded the mounting tabs to the hitch to give it a front mounting point...

It looks good and it works well.. I'll just have to take the hitch down to get the skid off..

quite the project but well worth it..

as a side bonus It feels like the rear end is tighter around corners and seems to rattle a bit less..

Has anyone pulled one of the 5x10 uhaul trailers with their cherokee? I pulled a smaller one with a fullsize blazer a couple years ago and it rocked the whole truck like crazy so I'm wonder what the bigger one will be like in the jeep

blue95xj said:
Just got me a MOPAR hitch about 2 months ago for $50 also and I think the guy said it came off a '98 even but didn't get the nut strips bolts or wires but did get a 1 7/8" ball, 1" drop ball mount, and pin

Draw-Tite sell the Xj kit btw (Where I got both of kits from) included the plates, bolts, nuts and tools..I think it was ~ 35$ Part #01130878
I ordered it from draw-tite.com.

Cheers

jblaze5779 said:
Has anyone pulled one of the 5x10 uhaul trailers with their cherokee? I pulled a smaller one with a fullsize blazer a couple years ago and it rocked the whole truck like crazy so I'm wonder what the bigger one will be like in the jeep

without stabilizer bars I would not pull a 5x10 trailer. those are around 2000 lbs alone... feasible if you have to.. but...

Back