• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fule Pump Problem

90xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I Have A 1990 Xj Limited. And The Fule Pump Just Keeps Running. Any Suggestions. Is There A Sylonoid That Controls The Shut Off On The Pump. Or What Controls It. What Makes The Darn Thing Stop Pumpin Like When It Primes. I Can Hear It Keep Going And Going.

If the line in the tank has a crack then the fuel pump wont reach pressure and stop pumping. Im not sure if the return line has a seperate regulator, if it doesnt then the regulator is at the front of the fuel rail with a vacuum line running to it. Check the regulator first as its easier, if thats working properly and you dont have a huge pool of gas under the jeep then its probably the line that connects the fuel pump to the manifold on top of the fuel tank.
good luck :)

90xjpos said:
Ok I Have A 1990 Xj Limited. And The Fule Pump Just Keeps Running. Any Suggestions. Is There A Sylonoid That Controls The Shut Off On The Pump. Or What Controls It. What Makes The Darn Thing Stop Pumpin Like When It Primes. I Can Hear It Keep Going And Going.

Nothing from what Im aware of, the fuel pump should be runniing all the time if the vehicle running the system is designed to circulate fuel constantly. Once the fuel regulator reaches its required perssure fuel is let past and returned to the fuel tank.

ok then so i know it is a dumb question. but one. how do i test the fuel pressure regulator?. two is anyone for sure if the return line has a seperate regulator. three. i guess the logical explination is it isnt reading the pressure back. because believe me there is alot of it. so much that it blows flames back into the air box. so is the fule pressure regulator what determins when to release the fuel back to the tank? and lastly how do i know if the tube in the tank is cracked? without having to yank all that stuff apart. i was to have to do that again i would just through in a new pump and go form there. and i am trying to avoid that. $$$$$$$$. if you know what i mean. and also . if the vacume wasnt good. would that through the regulator out of wack and maybe cause this problem?

90xjpos said:
ok then so i know it is a dumb question. but one. how do i test the fuel pressure regulator?. two is anyone for sure if the return line has a seperate regulator. three. i guess the logical explination is it isnt reading the pressure back. because believe me there is alot of it. so much that it blows flames back into the air box. so is the fule pressure regulator what determins when to release the fuel back to the tank? and lastly how do i know if the tube in the tank is cracked? without having to yank all that stuff apart. i was to have to do that again i would just through in a new pump and go form there. and i am trying to avoid that. $$$$$$$$. if you know what i mean. and also . if the vacume wasnt good. would that through the regulator out of wack and maybe cause this problem?

on the renix system there is one pressure regulator, The proceedures to test it are in any cheap manual, like the haynes. only way to check the internal parts in the tank are to remove them.

ok one more dumb question. the regulator . is that the round metal thing at the end of the fuel rail? its got a fuel line comming out its rear with a vacume line directly apposing it on the other side?

90xjpos said:
ok one more dumb question. the regulator . is that the round metal thing at the end of the fuel rail? its got a fuel line comming out its rear with a vacume line directly apposing it on the other side?

You got it!

ok well heres the dumb newbie jeep owner mistake of them all. i just lost my manual. searched high and low. cant find that piece of crap. any idea where i can find the online equivalant or instrctions on how to test the fule pressure regulator?

use a fuel gauge, atache it to the fuel rail test port, with the motor running pressure should be 30 psi, disconnect vaccum line of the regulator and pressure should be 39 psi, stop motor and pressure should remain for a while.

sounds good thanks alot panamaxj. you just saved me from buying a new manual. i was on my way out the door when i saw your post. thanks your a life saver. so if i understand correctly. if the regulator is bad. maybe cracked diaphram? that would cause the pump to keep running? thanks again. you've been a great help

I don't think is a cracked diafragm or the problem will be worst, probably the o ring that make the inner seal pressure side-return side, is crack or flat anyway the replacement is easy an inexpensive. Goog luck

I second it on the o-rings.. ref my earlier post please please please do your self a favor and at the least change all your fuel injectors o rings.. the o ring "kit" comes with an extra o ring for the regulator.. but truely if you want to do the right thing put some new injectors on it ... ask anyone out there the renix era injectors are a fire hazard...

Back