• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi Lift Jacking points...

Culinary_Hooligan

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any safe Hi-lift jacking points on a for the most part stocker Xj,
have a custom tube front bumper, but stock rear, no rocker armor as of yet, and am about to get my lift....
but am a bit worried that if I get my lift on, and end up getting a flat tire, not having any jacking points.....

I know the rockers will crunch like a beer can on a drunk fratboys head... but will the rear bumper hold up to a Hi-lift? I know my front will, it's quite stout.
Or should I hold off on the lift, til I get Rocker Armor?

The stock bumper can not be used without some damage.You can lift it ,if you place the jack at the bumper mounting points,(Where bumper bolts to body) but you will bend the bottom of the bumper.
There are better ways to lift your XJ to change tires etc. A high-lift is not the best.
Wayne

If your XJ has any kind of trailer hitch it will help (the factory bumper hitch is unexpectedly robust), but otherwise, you'd better at least reinforce the rear bumper. It might be sufficient to bolt some angle iron or something to it, to keep it from bending, but the stock brackets aren't very strong either. If your XJ is getting old, or if you live in the rust belt, make very sure those brackets aren't rusting out. It's a weak spot, and here in Vermont, for example, many old XJ's simply lose their rear bumpers.

if your not worried about a little scratching put the hi lift right beside the bumper guards (if you have them) or under the mounting bracket. i just used mine there with no damage . if you are using it to change tires block the front tires or you will be chasing your truck

you can use the Hi Lift on a stock rear bumper at the brackets as stated. or you can carry around one of those portable floor jacks if you dont want to carry around a Hi Lift

have any of you thought of bottle jacks? that's what i carry in my jeep. if you're stock you should be fine with a bottle jack. if you have a lift carry something to put underneath it, like a piece of 4x6 lumber.

The only reason that I am considering a Hi Lift, is tha I need a replacement jack for my jeep, I'n not lifted as of yet, but it's coming soon, I got a flat a few days ago and my factory "bottle" jack collapsed on me. I just do not trust those damn things. ultra small bases = danger in my book.
Plus I do alot of backwoods camping and riding.... and changing a tire on rough surfaces in the middle of the woods can be a little scary sometimes with those small based bottle, and scissor jacks.....

Culinary_Hooligan said:
The only reason that I am considering a Hi Lift, is tha I need a replacement jack for my jeep, I'n not lifted as of yet, but it's coming soon, I got a flat a few days ago and my factory "bottle" jack collapsed on me. I just do not trust those damn things. ultra small bases = danger in my book.
Plus I do alot of backwoods camping and riding.... and changing a tire on rough surfaces in the middle of the woods can be a little scary sometimes with those small based bottle, and scissor jacks.....

If you are looking for a jack to change tires.... forget hilift and get a taller bottle jack from Kragen or Napa or someplace like that. I changed the tire on the side of the road once using my hilift and realized that it's not that great of an idea: the vehicle needs to be jacked fairly far in order to pull the tire up and away far enough for this to work. Anyways, I got a small hydraulic bottle jack which is just tall enough for me to change 33's and it cost me $15. I still carry the hilift for the trails, but for the tires the hydraulic works way better.

Back