• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aussie locker install problems

R

rangerjoe2001

i got started on the install of my aussie locker today and ran into a problem

i unbolted the retainer plates for the axle shafts and i cant pull them out for the life of me.. is this normal? some technique to get them out?

i was also displeased to see that i must take out the carrier to install the locker on my dana 44 with 3.54 gears

Not uncommon. The 44 is from an earlier model, and the shafts have probably never been out. (based on your comment about 3.5 gears) Use a slide hammer.
I just finished a gear swap on a CJ-7. The rear alxes (ford 9") were in there good. Lot's of rust.
Good luck.

yeah they are pretty rusted.. i pulled, pryed, yelled, cursed.. to no avail

what exaclty is a slide hammer

You can borrow one from Autozone or Kragen.

As for removing the carrier, it's not that hard. And it'll be easier to install the locker on your bench.

yeah didnt think about autozone.. that would be awesome..

my only concern with removing the carrier is how hard is it to put back in? or get out?

simple simple simple.
try taking a big hammer and hammering in on the axle shafts at the center between the wheel studs to break it loose then pull out hard. as for the carrier just 4 bolts then pull it out (keep bearing on the right sides of the case so you dont forget which is which.

I agree with the last comment. you really should have a case spreader handy to pull the carrier out. the carrier bearings are preloaded which means that there is about 20 thousandths of an inch difference between the carrier bearings and the journals. its a tight fit.
that being said, some guys have been able to pry the carrier out and hammer it back in. I did it once and now I own a case spreader, much easier.
as for getting the shafts out? I catch the back edge of the axle flange with my copper hammer. knocks it right out...

Littlewhitexj said:
If you dont have expirence installing gears, i suggest you leave the carier in place unless you MUST remove it...

why does he need experience installing gears to remove the carrier? hes not setting up gears just removing carrier and reinstalling it. Im not trying to bust your balls or anything im just curious your reasoning for this?
as for taking the carrier out last time I think I used a large socket and a hammer to get it out wedge the socket on one side of the ring gear and then pry the other end with the back of the hammer. and out she comes.
as for case spreaders I dont like them, I dont like anything that distorts the axle.
Hitting the axle is just to break it loose if its rusty.if you can get a puller it would be easier.

Technically, the proper way is to use a case spreader and pry the crap out of it. then hammer the crap out of it to get it back in. it doesn't distort the housing unless you spread it beyond a certain extent. its not that he has to have experience to do the job. but rather he needs to be prepared to either have the right tools to make the job easy, or be prepared to bust his ass while he is propped under his jeep trying to pry and push and pull the carrier out and then trying to hold it while you line up the bearings and keep them straight to pry and push and hammer and kick to get the carrier back in.

Try flipping a drum around backwards on the studs. Put 3 lugnuts on the studs a few threads and use the drum as your slide hammer. Works everytime I tear into my rearends.

Last edited:
shelbyluvv said:
Try flipping a drum around backwards on the studs. Put 3 lugnuts on the studs a few threads and use the drum as your slide hammer. Works everytime I tear into my rearends.

good idea

Rawbrown said:
Technically, the proper way is to use a case spreader and pry the crap out of it. then hammer the crap out of it to get it back in. it doesn't distort the housing unless you spread it beyond a certain extent. its not that he has to have experience to do the job. but rather he needs to be prepared to either have the right tools to make the job easy, or be prepared to bust his ass while he is propped under his jeep trying to pry and push and pull the carrier out and then trying to hold it while you line up the bearings and keep them straight to pry and push and hammer and kick to get the carrier back in.

got ya makes since now

i used 2 medium sized pry bars on the carrier and it popped right out. Just be ready to catch it or let it fall onto a large pile of rags. Dont want it hitting the ground and chippin a tooth(yours or the rings). I used a large 2X4 to drive it back in place.

ok i got one of the axles out using the brake drum method.. worked some on the other one and got it started to come out.but i think im gonna borrow a slide hammer from auto zone or something...hopefully tommorow i will find time to finish her up...

thanks for your help guys.. i will report back and tell you all how it works out for me!

i had to rent a slide hammer to get the other shaft out.. she was a little stubborn

Back