• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ coil spring install sucess !

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my ZJ coils yesterday, and they were a sucess !

coil tag part number was: 5208 8362
came out of a 98 ZJ with the 5.9 V8

Total lift I got ? uncertain... because I forgot to measure before I did the install. Oops. Well, I do have some numbers still.. diffrence between front and rear are obvious. Measuring from center of wheel hub to bottom of fender flare up front comes to 18.75" on drivers side, 19.5" on passengers side - diffrent ? I dont know why.. perhaps its my driveway. Rear measurements(stock leaf springs - no lift) - 17". This is with 236/75/15R tires very worn out.

I proceeded to install 2.5" rear block lift.. and I was unable to complete. Due to the fact the rear brake hydrualic line was not long enough ! I dont know what I did wrong.

Am I going to need to extend my rear brake line to be able to do a lift in the rear ?

You need a new, longer rear brake line. Not an extension -- a new line.

And skip the blocks. They'll just kill your springs. Get an add-a-leaf. Since you already have the front, you don't need a kit, so I'd suggest the Rancho full-length AAL, which you should be able to buy for $50 to $60. Part number is RS60913.

I thought I'd need a longer brake line. Where do I get one ? Price, how long, etc ? Also, what do I do about the emergency brake lines ? They seemd to be short as well.

I was going to do blocks for now.. since it'd cost me nothing. just a couple peices of 2.5" square tubing with a hole in the middle.

I want to make homemade leaf packs.. but that rancho deal dosent sound too expensive.

Dan

I have a few people in my club that are using tj brake lines for the rear. I believe they are 3" longer and plug right up. You can buy these at any parts store for less than 20 dollars. I'll post more if I can get hold of one of them tonight.

BSH - that site is where I originally got my idea about ZJ springs. Good site. The guy dosent talk about the brake lines, and he speaks of U bolts running 20-25 bucks.. I bought a set for $9.99 the other day.

my-xj-addiction - Great tip about the TJ lines ! I'll look into them. However since we're chaing out the brake lines.. wouldnt it be worthy to go with a stainless steel braided line ?

Dan

dan89XJ said:
BSH - that site is where I originally got my idea about ZJ springs. Good site. The guy dosent talk about the brake lines, and he speaks of U bolts running 20-25 bucks.. I bought a set for $9.99 the other day.

my-xj-addiction - Great tip about the TJ lines ! I'll look into them. However since we're chaing out the brake lines.. wouldnt it be worthy to go with a stainless steel braided line ?

Dan

I haven't messed with the TJ brakelines before, so I don't know the length on those. Thank you for mentioning that I didn't say anything about the rear brakelines in that writeup. I do have updates that I haven't done yet that do talk about extended brakelines. I use 1995 YJ Wrangler brakelines front and rear. The front run about $15 each (need 2) and the rear about $12 from O'Reillys. The YJ rear line is 1/2" shorter than the extended stainless line you would spend too much money for from Rubicon Express, so the YJ line is plenty long. Don't waste your money on stainless lines if you can get something that does the same job for 1/3 the price.

Since I haven't done the update to my article on the HomeBrew Budget Boost, here is a cut and paste I have been using with basically all the info that needs to be added to that writeup. It's a lot of reading, but read through it and see if anything may help you out. Some of it will not apply, of course, but definately read about the rear end for a great quality riding 2-2.5" lift over stock.

Here you go, read this over: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100704&highlight=Project+jeep+week

Now, since that article, I have learned a few new tricks that are even better. Instead of trying to find the correct ZJ coils to actually give you enough lift, just get some Carquest HD XJ progressive coils. They give 2.25" lift, and cost $67.28 for the pair. The part number is CC784 if you need to order them.
Use the two leafs from a stock XJ pack like in the article, because that hasn't changed. They will give you about 2.25-2.5" lift. Don't worry about the RE extended shackle for the 2" lift you are wanting. Don't waste time making leaf clamps. The time and money you spend making them and getting the hardware, you could just get the 2.5" clamps from here: www.huskyspring.com/main.taf?cat=160
I have been getting my clamps from there, and they are great. Online ordering is very easy, shipping is fast and cheap. It will cost you about $15 for 4 clamps shipped. Sure, $15 may be a lot, but by the time you by the steel and hardware like in my article and add up your time it takes to make them, it is just easier to buy these.
I'll add this up just for the fun of it

• $ 67.28 Coils
  • $ 15.00 Clamps
  • $ 20.00 Ubolts
  • $ 12.00 YJ Wrangler Rear brakeline (for $12, why not for extra security)
  • $ 2.00 Center Pins
  • $ 50.00 Stock Low Mileage Leaf Packs (if you pay more than that, you should just buy new ones)
  • $135.00 Monroe SensaTrac Shocks

$362.59 Total

Sure, you could get a $99 budget boost with some crappy $120 hydro shocks from somewhere, but it won't ride anything like the quality of this setup. This setup has been compared to the quality of the Old Man Emu kit, but for half the price. Sure it isn't OME, but for half the price, it is dang close enough and beats the snot out of any other BB on the market. Oh, and the OME kit doesn't come with leaf spring bushings, UBolts, or longer rear brakeline either.

How do the carquest coils ride? I'm also planning in using OME shocks. Does anyone know the part # for OME shocks for a 2" lift?

my-xj-addiction said:
Sure thing! just an easy inexpensive option!

LOL - I havent checked round for prices.. but when I was looking for brake lines for my CJ5, I did find some for fairly cheap.. just gotta know what fittings and size you need. Earl's brake lines and Russel's.. were the 2 brands I was looking at. They also sell all kinds of adapters. You can buy these parts though summit - just find the correct part numbers.

GottaBeJeep - I did also read part of your update a while back. I need to go over it about the rear leaf packs, I apprechaite the info I find in your write ups - thank you :)

Ok they were 95 tj-yj lines $15 ea. I have a shop that makes hydraulic lines and will make the stainless too(no dot rating have to be used strictly off road) I'm installing mine next week.

Back