• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preparing for Rod Bearings - Sizing

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay so gotta do a rear main and plan to do rod bearings too, at 240k it just seems right. Here is where the question goes. I remember awhile back (couldn't find the thread) Eagle telling me that somewhere on the block Jeep stamped the size of the bearings. I'd like to get the proper bearings before dropping the pan and all, I wouldn't want to get it all torn apart and find out that I have to wait three days for bearings!

Anyway, who can clue me in?

Thanks,
Sequoia

<grin> Check the FSM..... </grin>

There's a flat spot on the block near the distributor that'll have the over/under size stamps. At least, according to my 94 FSM.

Codes are:

P: Conrods undersize 0.010"
M: Mains undersize 0.010"
PM Both undersize 0.010"

I was looking at the #s on my block on my 93 and 88. my 93 says 209MX03
and the 88 is marked 801M14. what does all that mean? I'm assuming the M in both means mains undersized .010" is this correct? But what does the rest mean? If anybody has a FSM for these years could you look it up for me. If it says. Thanks

There is no substitute for mike'n it.

old_man said:
There is no substitute for mike'n it.

Very true. But would still like to know what those ID #s mean

HilltopXJ said:
Very true. But would still like to know what those ID #s mean
The numbers you see are the build date codes. The bearing codes are on a small boss by the oil filter. ChiXJeff got it right. There's another code for oversize pistons -- I just posted it in another thread about a 4-banger yesterday.

If you don't see any codes -- everything is standard.

Back