• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 4.0 wagoneer question

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into buying an 87 wagoneer with the 4.0 and dana 44 rear end. I got to listen to it run and looked at the underbody and looks good. It has a leaky injector though. How much to replace the leaky injector? It is leaking quite a bit of gas but does not give the engine any problems while running. Engine has 181,000 on it and only minor valve cover oil leak. I am not sure what tranny or tranfer case are in it. The owner didn't know. It is an automatic. There is some surface rust on the doors and floor pan is pretty bad. Ball joints were just replaced in it also. They are asking 1000.00 or best offer. I told the guy about the problems that I seen on the jeep and he said that he would bring the price down if it was a good offer. What does everybody think they would pay for something like this? I was thinking anywhere from 500.00 to 700.00. Any info on this jeep and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Let me know what you think. Oh yeah, the tranfer case shifter says 2hi,4hi no lock, 4hi lock, and 4low lock if this helps at all.

I guess that nobody wants to lend any advice on this matter. I hope that I put it in the right discussion area. Please, any info on this or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am looking to pick this jeep up tomorrow if it is worth it. I just need some other input on this before I decide on what to do.

where is the injector leaking at? May be as easy as replacing a few orings. I have an 88 xj and mine did the same thing, A few dollars in o rings and it was good as new.

Sounds as if it has an np242 t case. I paid 1500 for mine with 130000 miles but I knew the person selling it and knew what condition it was in (he was a mechanic that never had it off road and only used the 4hi a handful of times) I'd say try for the least amount! :)

from another post:

PETEY said:
I bought a set of 19 lbs injectors off ebay for $ 50.00. That was for the whole set. They want around $70.00 a piece for stock jeep injectors at the local auto parts store.

try here www.fiveomotorsports.com
here's the phone # 562-867-4999
[email protected]
cheapest place Ive found for injectors
they came with the o-rings too

leaky injectors are dangerous. that's a lot of gas leaking on to a hot manifold.

A Wagoneer should have an AW4 transmission and a 242 (Selec-Trac) transfer case.

Do NOT drive it with a leaking injector. You should not even run the engine. They catch fire.

Sounds like about a $300 find to me ... $500 tops.

Yeah, the leaky injector can be dangerous. But chances are that it's a dry oring, so you may be able to just through one on. DOn't drive it till you fix it...lol tick tick tick boom. Anyhow, sounds look a good deal to me. I would overhype the injector problem and offer him 600, then let him bring you up to 700. 181k really isn't that many miles for a 4.0, aw-4, and np 242. Do it up. good luck.

A quick point - RENIX (1987-90) fuel injectors are known for leaking at teh body of the injector, where the upper and lower halves meet, typically in the 150K range. You're right about there, and the safest assumption is to replace ALL SIX injector right now.

Which injectors? Get a set of Ford or Chevvy fuel injectors, rates for 19-21#/hour of fuel delivery, and call it a day. The Ford 302 injectors seem to be the most common swap, and are quite easy to find. The set of eight will probably run you in the range of $200 (less if you get "pulls" from people who went to larger injectors on their Mustangs.)

Again, it is quite likely that it is the injector itself that is leaking, and you'd better replace it. I've got (now) four RENIX XJ's, and all have had injectors done somewhere in between 150K and 200K miles - due to body leakage.

Consider yourself edified.

5-90

If this is a wood panel Wagoneer, and it's showing significant rust anywhere, you would do well to sound out the areas behind the plastic veneer. Just go around tapping and pushing. They can rust something awful, and leave you with very large holes that open up quite suddenly. I've seen some nice clean looking Wagoneers here in VT with holes in the doors the size of a football. Also check the rear bumper. The brackets rust and they fall off.

Seconding or thirding or whatever on the injectors. As well as leaking at the body seam, they can also leak at the electrical connection. If you do buy the thing, you're well off getting a whole set of new ones.

first off I would like to say thank you very much for the replies so far. The injector looked to be leaking about the middle of the injector. I pointed it out to the owner and he said that he just had a tune up done and is suprised that the mechanic did not see it. From the time the fuel pump kicked it it sprayed gas from the middle of the injector and then a steady leak down the manifold and down to the ground. He was very suprised to see the leak. I told him to NOT drive it anymore and he said that his girlfriend just got done driving it back from a 100 mile round trip. I said that he is extremely lucky to still have a girlfriend because she could have had some serious problems. I have decided not to buy the jeep because I found quite a few leaks from the front of the jeep to the back. In my opinion the truck is not worth even 500.00 because of the injector and numerous other leaks and problems. The only way I see me purchasing this jeep is for the 4.10 gears and d44 rear. There is tow hooks on the front also. I have one jeep now to stick money into and I think that will be enough for now. I just think this jeep has alot of problems to take care of before it would be reliable. Again thanks for the replies so far and other replies to come. If anyone is interested in this jeep it is Green Bay Wi.

Back