• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle questions

woogybugger

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I bought a 93 cherokee 4.5 inch lift, Front lock right, 32.5 BFGs and some other mods.

I broke the ear of the front pass axle shaft. I can determin that I do not have a vac disconect and that it does not have ABS. But I run into a problem every time I try to buy a new shaft. All the parts houses and even the junk yard folks tell me this truck has a CV shaft and not the shaft with the U joint.

It could be that the front end has been changes out but I dont think so. The guy I baought it from didnt mention anything and I trust that he would have.

What do you other 93 owners have fro fron axles?
Does this year have and option?

I plan on just finding a D 30 with u joint type shaft and replacing it but this is still a mystery.

No the Advance and Autozone, etc only supplies CV style shafts. They will swap in with no problem, but the only XJs that came with CV shafts stock are the very first XJs. My 84 XJ had them. I noticed that those parts places have lifetime warranties on those shafts. hmm... might be worth the fact that they are CV joints.

I doubt anyone is going to carry whole shafts for this thing, precisely because it does not have CV joints, and is therefore expected to be repaired rather than replaced. You can confirm the joints yourself by looking at the shafts where they are visible through the steering knuckle. If they look like ordinary universal joints, similar to those on the driveshafts, then they are not CV.

The joints themselves are quite cheap, under 20 bucks last time I looked.

Thanks guys.

I did break the ear off the shaft. Otherwise I would just slap in a new u joint.

What are the upgrade options here? can I get a cromoly set or something? Does anybody make an aftermarket upgrade? I would prefer to stay away from the CV simply because I have the knowledge and skills necessary to make U joint repairs, I have no idea if CV joints are even fixable.

go with Salvage yard ('95 or newer XJ i think) or superior if it was me and you probably have the small ujoints so just go with inner and outer shafts to get the 5-760 joints.

Back