• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quickie!

pbandj

NAXJA Forum User
hey is there any downside to shortening extraordinarily long spark plug wires (it's actually for the GM 350 in my cj7...) but I got wires floppin in the breeze so to speak and wanted to double check before potentially wasting $35
Thanks

As long as you get the conductor into the clip, no. Getting that couductor into the plug clip sometimes is more trouble than a new set of wires.

so there is no specifically manufactured length/resistance ratio for my 7mm napa plugs?! (read: self depracating sarcasm)

the irony for me is that a couple days ago I did a compression check on my 88' 4.0L and almost every plug wire I pulled was ridiculously stuck and the metal clip stayed on the plug for 5 out of 6, but after mangle-ing(?) the clips apart and re- crimping them on they worked fine.....
BTW 185,000 miles and 130,145,145,140,145,145 psi, 1-6, respectively. better than I'd expected! (except of course that lazy #1 cylinder:)

Is this mod tech?

Sounds more like OEM to me.

it doesn't get any less oem xj than cheating and asking a question about a cj7 with swapped motor, don't ya think? anyway I posted this question pretty late last night when it was burning in my mind and I picked the forum with the most viewing in hopes someone would answer my petty inquiry and put my mind to rest... feel free to ship it off to some other subforum if it really bothers you though

IF you really have to shorten them I would hit a parts store and get the boot and end clips kit. They usually sell them right next to the spark plug wire that they sell by the foot on a roll... the boots usually come in straight and 90Deg bend type....I know excel makes them because you can buy the excel wire off a reel...
I would also consider adding some wire looms though 6 cyl are almost impossible to find. I take care when I change my 98's wires so as not to damage those wire holders that are attached to the side of the valve cover..

Back