• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New and have a question?

tazz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all I'm new here and new to the Jeep thing.
I just bought a 92 Cherokee XJ with the 4.0L in it. Now what I'm seeing is that when it's cold (like below freezing) the truck will start then stall like 2-3 times before it will stay running. Also it dose not seem to idle up (like high idle for warm up) when cold like I'm used to with other cars?
And idea to check would be cool!
Thanx!!!

Try reading the error codes. Turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on wait until the check engine light goes out and then it will flash 2 digit numbers. ie: 22 would be 2 pulses medium pause 2 pulses then there would be a longer pause between the next code and then same thing.
12 will most likly be the first , its normal, then 55 is end or codes.
Sound to me like a sensor is bad. Get a haynes to check the codes or post them up here and someone will tell you what they are.
-Steve D

Sweet!
Thanx guy's I'll maby try that code reading later today.
Thanx again!

Just did the codes and all it gives me is code 55 which means it is all done. In other words there is no codes.
Maby I'll try the fuel filter when I get a chance.
It is getting a bit better since I'm putting some milage on it now, and have ran a couple of "Lucas Fuel System Cleaners" through it.
If anyone has more ideas let me know?

When cold starting do not touch the gas pedal like with a carbed engine. I would also suggest that you remove the throttle body, take it inside on a work bench and remove any of the sensors on it, then using a good decarbonizing cleaner like Gumout, Valvoline, etc give the throttle body a good cleaning. Reinstall and see what happens. If you leave the sensors on the TB try not to get any of the cleaner on them, most of the cleaners are not plastic friendly and can damage them.

RichP said:
When cold starting do not touch the gas pedal like with a carbed engine. I would also suggest that you remove the throttle body, take it inside on a work bench and remove any of the sensors on it, then using a good decarbonizing cleaner like Gumout, Valvoline, etc give the throttle body a good cleaning. Reinstall and see what happens. If you leave the sensors on the TB try not to get any of the cleaner on them, most of the cleaners are not plastic friendly and can damage them.

Ditto, the wifes 96 was doing the same thing today, I sprayed a little penetrating oil, into the IAC air opening (with the motor running) and the problem went away. Usually only happened when the motor had been sitting for awhile and (cold) started. Gonna take it apart and clean the TB on the weekend.

Back