• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who's got roof sliders

Jeepin Jason

NAXJA Member #1100
I've seen FarmerMatt's roof rack with the outboard roof sliders, but has anyone else build something similar? My roof basket is a little too narrow to work on its own, and after getting tippy with a tree on our last outing and warping up the driver's side rain gutter, I'm thinking I need some type of roof sliders to fend off those pesky trees. :repair:

Hey Jason IIRC you've got a warrior roofrack, I do too and I was thinking about welding on a small priece of angle to the outer portion of the clamp (when viewed from the front would look like an 'L" and then weld another piece of angle to inside of a tube so the the angle pieces would overlap with bolt going vertical, then bolt another piece of angle into the factory roof rack holes and build braces coming off this to the tube as well. The only thing is i would really like to have a 3rd mount on each side of the rack to bolt to.

I hope this made sense cause i can't figure out how to draw it and post it.

Dingo

Hmm, I'm having a bit of a time trying to visualize that setup... but yes, I do have a WP roof rack.

What I was kind of thinking of doing was simply running some outriggers off the rack similar to what Gary_E did.

Gary's (thanks Brett)
front34.jpg

The supports would be pretty long since the WP rack is pretty narrow, and sits higher. Looking back at pics of my WP rack though, it almost looks like you could simply weld the slider tubing directly to the outer half of the gutter clamp brackets. You'd just have to figure out some kind of support bracing for where the sliders extend out past the gutter clamps... Maybe that's kinda like what you were talking about...

Local guy took some 1" tube and bent it to folow the gutter lines and welded it directly to them. Works great for keeping boulders out of the roof, should work for trees.

Jeepin Jason said:
Looking back at pics of my WP rack though, it almost looks like you could simply weld the slider tubing directly to the outer half of the gutter clamp brackets. You'd just have to figure out some kind of support bracing for where the sliders extend out past the gutter clamps... Maybe that's kinda like what you were talking about...

yeah thats basically what i meant, i just thought of using 2 pices of angle so the rails are removable, then brace the front of the rails to a piec of angle that replaces the factory roof rack holes to support the front of the rails.

Dingo

sliders are cool.. lucky i slid into a tree but it was as i went down a slope and i slid to the side and my aj's super rails stopped me!

thx aj! :wave:

the slider rails would be wonderful.. would have saved my xj when i slid her against a tree $2500 damage :hang:

I don't know if he still has them on his rig, but Ron Stevick had some very nice homemade ones that he dubbed "rockee rails" This was back around 2000 or so, but he might still have them. Worth checking out.
Nate

I used to have them........angle iron with a couple of tabs welded on, and bolted to the ends of the cross pieces on the roof rack. They got used regularly. I can't find a close pic, but here's what mine were:

standard.jpg

Now I have a cage that takes care of it.

Back