• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My rear axle is off center

XJMK

aka boredchimp
I installed a 3" Full Leaf Rustys lift on my 98. Why is my rear axle off center? Its about a half inch or so to the passengers side. Any input is appreciated.

find a cherokee who's rear axle isnt off center by an inch or so.... :chef:
for it being off center.... its probably something to do with where the putput shaft is on the Tcase... probably 1" closer on the Dside...... lol

there is some play in the centering pins, but you shouldn't get that far off.
It's probably yet another sloppy manufacturing tolerance and your spring percehes are not perfectly aligned.

Are you certain that you got the centering pins in the holes in the spring perches?

Look at the position of the spring shackel to see weather it is in the same position on both the drivers side spring, and the passenger side spring. (Note): you should always install the spring by bolting the fixed eye to the body first (the front bushing on the spring). I installed the shackel end first once and got the same problem. I drove with it like this for about 10,000 miles to find that it was wearing my tires all crazy like. I also always had a slight pull to the right that an allignment couldn't fix.

This may or may not be the problem; however, it sounds just like the problem I fixed about 3 months ago. I purchaced new OEM leaf packs. I got the heavy duty ones that you get for the off road towing package in an XJ. I'm about to get a 3" AAL and ditch the blocks. Blocks are BAD for leaf packs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been through 2 sets in 3 years.

Brian

I'll have to check the shackles. I can't remember (I did the lift quite a while ago) if I put them in the body first. I think I did but not sure.

Yes, the centering pins are in the holes.

I'll have to dig out my tape measure to make sure everythings straight, I eyeballed it and they look OK, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the info

on my XJ at least:

measurement from inside frame rail to inside frame rail:
31-3/8"
Passenger side frame rail to yoke output center:
14-11/16"
Therefore T-case output is ~ 1" to the right (passenger side) of center

i measured my rear end and came out with something like 3/4" of an inch off center - making the u-joints only take 1/4"

::shrug::

Back