• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil - Heavy Or Light Weight?

Kreutz

NAXJA Forum User
I Use A Partial Synthetic 15-20w. I'm Switching To Full Synthetic As Soon As I Can Afford It. But Anyway, I Used To Work At A Place Where There Made Motor Oil, And Someone There Told Me That They Use 15-20w Year Round. That Is It Better For Truck Engines, Because They Work Harder And Get Hotter Then Car Engines. At The Time I Started Using It, Was When I Had Trouble With My Engine Get Hot. I've Still Been Using It Ever Since. My Question Is: Is It Ok To Use 15-20w Or Should I Go To A Different Weight Oil? I Drive A '90 Xj 4.0l. The Engine Is About A Year Old. I Just Want To Use The Right Oil. Any Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm sure others that know more about motor oil then me will chime in soon. 20 weight is too light for the 4 litre, especially in warm climates. I've run Mobil 1 10w30 all year round, but just switched to 0w40 with 122K on the clock. Older 4 litres seem to like the 40 weight oil. I've been using synth since 55k. For the 4 litre, 15w is too thick when cold, and 20w isn't thick enough when hot.

--Matt

Kreutz said:
I Use A Partial Synthetic 15-20w. I'm Switching To Full Synthetic As Soon As I Can Afford It. But Anyway, I Used To Work At A Place Where There Made Motor Oil, And Someone There Told Me That They Use 15-20w Year Round. That Is It Better For Truck Engines, Because They Work Harder And Get Hotter Then Car Engines. At The Time I Started Using It, Was When I Had Trouble With My Engine Get Hot. I've Still Been Using It Ever Since. My Question Is: Is It Ok To Use 15-20w Or Should I Go To A Different Weight Oil? I Drive A '90 Xj 4.0l. The Engine Is About A Year Old. I Just Want To Use The Right Oil. Any Thoughts?
Two thoughts:

1) Use 10W40 weight oil

2) Please Only Capitalize The First Word Of Each Sentence. It's Very Difficult To Read When You Capaitalize Each Word. (It's Also Incorrect.)

I vote for 10W40 also.

Also if your valves are a little noisey like just about everyone elses, you can throw one or two quarts of straight 50W oil in, it seemed to quit them down quite a bit on mine.

Dean

DDCxj said:
I vote for 10W40 also.

Also if your valves are a little noisey like just about everyone elses, you can throw one or two quarts of straight 50W oil in, it seemed to quit them down quite a bit on mine.

Dean

Do you mean that you mix in some 50 wt. with the other dual wt. oil? Is this ok to do? I mean does it work alright or is it no prob?

I think if you stay within the same brand it is not an issue. A few times I have mixed 4 quarts of 10W30 Mobil-1 with 2 quarts of 5W30 with no problems. Would I mix Mobil-1 with castrol syntec, probably not, at least not long term, maybe after a dunking and full oil change in the field but then I'd do another when I got back out of the woods.

sloppyjoe said:
Do you mean that you mix in some 50 wt. with the other dual wt. oil? Is this ok to do? I mean does it work alright or is it no prob?

Yes, when I change my oil I put in 5 quarts of 10w40 and 1 quart of staight 50 weight. It mixes in fine if used like this, but if you put more than 2 quarts in you would probably see some problems.

Dean

DDCxj said:
Yes, when I change my oil I put in 5 quarts of 10w40 and 1 quart of staight 50 weight. It mixes in fine if used like this, but if you put more than 2 quarts in you would probably see some problems.

Dean

Just do the math for a ballpark figure. Not a big deal.

All I know is that when I use Syntec 20w-50 in my 89 I get good psi 40ish indicated on the gauge at all speeds. When I use 10w-30 I getbetween 25 - 35 at most speeds but it tends to drop as RPM decreases. So next oil change I am going back to Syntec 20w-50.

Back