• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unbolting front d-shaft for a trip

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be possible to unbolt the front driveshaft at the pumpkin and then suspend it somewhere from the framerail and drive that way. I have a slight vibe and don't want to feel/hear it on my trip. I would leave it connected to the t-case by the way and if I dont pull the t-case lever, I feel I should be ok. Whatcha think?
Brett

bretto said:
Would it be possible to unbolt the front driveshaft at the pumpkin and then suspend it somewhere from the framerail and drive that way. I have a slight vibe and don't want to feel/hear it on my trip. I would leave it connected to the t-case by the way and if I dont pull the t-case lever, I feel I should be ok. Whatcha think?
Brett

Sounds like your too lazy to pull four more bolts at the t-case and too cheap to get manual hubs. :D

Yup that sums it up :)

Since the front output is a yoke, can't se as it'd make any difference. Though. . .I'd pull the other four bolts just because I wouldn't want the drive shaft falling down at highway speed. That'd be a heck of a surprise.

bretto said:
Brett

Sure you can, I did it for awhile on mine. I used a peice of plumbers tape and a bolt and wing nut, and tied it up to the upper control arm mount. I kept a 5/16 (I think) nut driver handy. Won't hurt a thing.....

I eventually got a Warn front hub kit.

If you do, be sure that it's secured up front REALLY WELL! Imagine what will happen to you, your drive shaft, your t-case, and your transmission if it happens to come loose and fall down while you're cruising down the highway!

I think it would be better to just remove it completely. It's not that much more work.

It's a bunch more work.........removing the four bolts on the t-case yoke is tedious, and it has to be done four times for every wheeling trip. Removing the four small bolts on the u-joint straps is quick and easy.

But you do have to be sure it's secure....falling down would not be fun.

Back