• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm bushing? (axle end)

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I'll soon be building a HP Dana 30 for my XJ. I'd like to replace the bushings pressed into the axle for the UCAs while I have it out. Is there a better idea than the stock rubber ones, and are they available without getting the whole set. I have aftermarket upper and lower CAs, so I just need the bushings in the axle.
TIA!

The factory rubber ones are the best.You can buy them individually at any auto parts store @12$ each.The only problem I have had is the passenger side,it doesnt have enough surface area to hold the bushing in.The last time I tack welded it in,next time Ill fit a full sleeve between the two sheetmetal towers!

RCP Phx said:
The factory rubber ones are the best.You can buy them individually at any auto parts store @12$ each.The only problem I have had is the passenger side,it doesnt have enough surface area to hold the bushing in.The last time I tack welded it in,next time Ill fit a full sleeve between the two sheetmetal towers!
So a poly bushing wouldn't be better for that location? How difficult is this to do without a welder?

The biggest issue is that the bushings are pressed in.Youll need something like a C-press to get them in/out.Ive never had a set of poly's that held up,and the fronts require a metal "casing".

RCP Phx said:
The biggest issue is that the bushings are pressed in.Youll need something like a C-press to get them in/out.Ive never had a set of poly's that held up,and the fronts require a metal "casing".
Thanks Ron.
I thought I saw a webite somewhere that detailed the steps for removing and replacing the bushings. I did a search on Google and didn't really find anything. Do you know where that site might be, or a different one?

The best tools to remove and install these bushings are from Harbor Freight. Cant remember the exact name of the kit but its got a huge C clamp with 3 large bearing or bushing install/remove deals. Sorry for being so vague but the kit costs around $30. It only took me 30 minutes to do this once we got the tool after a couple hours of fawking around. :D Hope this helps. Jeff

Back