• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid question # 1,236,263,283

Infidel_XJ

NAXJA Member #1065
I can't believe I'm gonna a sk but here it goes.
Had a few beers last night... installed the rear sway bar brackets as BPEs in the rear...installed the shock....then........OHhhhh it's upside down (the shock) with the tube end at the top?
The fit for the top bolt was really tight so the "just turn it around" option is my last.
Does it really matter which way the shock is installed?
Stupid remarks and sarcasm are always appreciated...

It depends on the type of shock. I believe gas shocks can be inverted, but oil shocks should not be, but I do know some shocks are not designed to be inverted.

Rob

I did the same thing with hydro shox when I did my SOA MJ... It rode like it had no shox... LOL I rode apprx. 500 bouncy miles that way until someone clued me in.

If your's are hydro shox too, YMWV.

Bite the bullet, limber those wrenches back up, and do it right.

Very few shocks can be installed upside down and function properly. I was looking at a set of new Monroe gas shocks today. The bottom of the shell is stamped with a note that says THIS END DOWN and has two arrows flanking it, pointing down.

BTW, using the sway bar bracket as a BPE is a very bad idea. It turns the shock 90 degrees and puts a lot of stress on the upper mount as the shock flexes.

Back