• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torx and other essential XJ tools

kr7o

NAXJA Member #1146
I need to remove my rear seat belt and see people "recalling" a #50 Torx in a couple threads. Is that the correct number? Are there any other Torx, or specialty tools/sockets needed to maintain the XJ that wouldn't be in your standard tool box?

I know about the 36mm socket. I know most of this is probably hiding in various threads, but searching for these little tidbits is tedious.

Thanks,

A good set of long, angled needlenoses to get the stupid f***ing hose clips used on various things (radiator, power steering, etc.) off. Replace them with regular screw-down hose clamps once they're off.

Metric and standard sockets. You'll be surprised at where you use a metric tool all the way up to the step where you need something in SAE.

Worklamp.

Tie-downs, ratchet straps, duct tape, and other general gerry-rigging equipment if you're out in the middle of nowhere.

if you ever pull your motor apart from the transmission you'll need a internal torx bit. what size I don't know but you will need it.

If you remove the fenders you'll need a T27, not always present in sets.

If you have an 87 or thereabouts, you'll need a 7 mm. allen wrench for the front brakes, also sometimes missing from sets. Worth looking at your brake caliper bolts in advance of your next brake job to make sure you have what you need. Later ones use a standard hex bolt.

You should also check your transfer case drain plug. They differ, but some use a 30 mm. socket.

Also make sure your wrench sets include 18 mm, which is used in the front end and suspension. It's becoming more common now, but this used to be a "non-size" in most sets. The cylinder head uses 16 mm., another uncommon size, but that's one you can hope you'll never need anyway.

Although most of the fasteners on the XJ are metric, the brake lines are not. So you might want to add a 3/8 & 7/16 flare-nut wrench to the list.

We sell a torx bit socket set at NAPA for right around the $20 mark lifetime warranty as well. Worth putting them in your tool box.

Back