• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap-2.5 to 4.0

whitewolf

NAXJA Forum User
hi guy's & gal's

I've got a 86 cherokee chief with a 2.5l injected with a 5spd trans.The motor is beat(smokin,knockin,lack of power!).I also have a 90 cherokee ltd,(parts jeep)with a 4.0l,aw4.The body is absolutely rotted,(due to Canadian winters&lack of care).

Anyways my question is how much of a pain in the a$$ is this swap going to be ? is this swap possible due to firewall & rad support clearance?
Just thought I'd ask before I started strippin and swappin parts.and if any of you have done this swap I enjoy your advice or warnings.

thank you all in advance!!!!!!!!
cheers.

It has been done already, in fact take a look in the archives for the info.

xjnation said:
just swap over everything gas tank, wiring harnesses, radiator etc. it will work.

just a long process
Not entirely - the 86 wasn't set up for the 4.0L block and there is a bit of metalwork involved. Look for posts by old_man (Tom) discussing his 2.5L conversion in his "84"

Yucca-Man said:
Not entirely - the 86 wasn't set up for the 4.0L block and there is a bit of metalwork involved. Look for posts by old_man (Tom) discussing his 2.5L conversion in his "84"

I know that the firewall has to be massaged with a sledge hammer, the pre-87 engine bays were not made for the lenght of the I-6. But I m mot sure about the motormount locations. It will work, just might take some work.

i was alwas told that the 4.0 will mount in all you have to change is the motor mounts and i guess theres wireing adapters that you can get from jeep......were are you located at....

never mind your in onterio well ive got a 2.5 with 500miles on it i only want 600.00 for it if you no someone that works for fed-x or ups you could get it shipped for really cheap if you dont what to mess with the 4.0

xj-n it said:
i was alwas told that the 4.0 will mount in all you have to change is the motor mounts and i guess theres wireing adapters that you can get from jeep......were are you located at....
The firewall and radiator support sheet metal were redesigned in model year 1987 to accomodate the longer I6 4.0L engine. The engine compartment of the 84 thru 86 XJs is too small for the 4.0L engine and requires surgery to fit the engine in.

Unless you already have the 4.0L engine, a better swap in the early XJs is a GM 3.4L V6 out of a rear engine car like a Camaro.

Eagle said:
The firewall and radiator support sheet metal were redesigned in model year 1987 to accomodate the longer I6 4.0L engine. The engine compartment of the 84 thru 86 XJs is too small for the 4.0L engine and requires surgery to fit the engine in.

Unless you already have the 4.0L engine, a better swap in the early XJs is a GM 3.4L V6 out of a rear engine car like a Camaro.

Ya I started to look up engine swaps in the archives, and came upon the 3.4l swap.but I already have a complete 4.0l donor xj.

xj-n it said:
never mind your in onterio well ive got a 2.5 with 500miles on it i only want 600.00 for it if you no someone that works for fed-x or ups you could get it shipped for really cheap if you dont what to mess with the 4.0

I'll have to keep that in mind.
thanx

Eagle said:
a better swap in the early XJs is a GM 3.4L V6 out of a rear engine car like a Camaro.
THey made rear engine Camaros or were you takin rear drive or a Fiaro.

robz95xj said:
THey made rear engine Camaros or were you takin rear drive or a Fiaro.

He meant to say 'rear-drive' as opposed to 'rear-engine'.

FWIW, the Fiero isn't rear-engined - it's mid-engined as the block sits between the wheelbase. A VW beetle or Corvair is considered rear-engined (or my personal favourite, the Tatra 603).

Back