• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Overhead Console Installation

spniak3r

NAXJA Forum User
How is this done, or is it even possible? Currently, I have the little curtousy light. I am buying a Overhead console with a harnass. Is everything present in my 2000 XJ for a direct swap in? I don't know if there are links around or anything like that.

I just did this on my 90 XJ. Mine was an SE model and the wiring wasnt present, so I had to figure out which wires went where and run them myself. IIRC the 97+ console computer also has fuel system info as well. MPG, EMR, EGR, and so on, so there will be additional wires for fuel data from your ECM to your overhead console computer. I searched NAXJA for some info on this and didnt come up with too much, but if ya go over to JU and run a search for "overhead console" you should find plenty of threads with plenty of data. Maybe its just me, but those guys seem like theyre into interior mods as much as suspension mods.

my $.02

Mike

PS: When you get the console, make sure you get the harness as well as the mounting brackets and screws and misc related items.

I've done a couple of these 97+ installs myself and helped several others with info on theirs and also got helpful info back.
Here's just one of many Overhead Console threads that might be of use to you.

I plan on installing an overhead console in a 99 Jeep Cherokee and had a question, Is the Outside Temp sensor already on the Car, Like it is in 98+ Dodge Intrepids.

IceShaver511 said:
I plan on installing an overhead console in a 99 Jeep Cherokee and had a question, Is the Outside Temp sensor already on the Car, Like it is in 98+ Dodge Intrepids.
No, you'll have to purchase the temp sensor. The wiring for it is already in place though. It mounts behind the front bumper, dead center.

Back