• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing ABS on 91 (seach didn't find it)

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering if I can yank the accumlator etc and just replumb the lines without getting a whole buch of new parts? I'm sick of my ABS stuff and the dealer says there is nothing wrong except a caliper is trying to lock up(replaced both, makes little sense unless the ABS is causing it to do that). I'd like to just pull it and use my brother's non abs as a pattern to reroute things.
Thoughts? Is the Prop valve the same?

Yes, you can yank it all out, No, you will need a lot of new parts. Here is an article on it:

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

Several posts here, and other articles on the internet as well, try adding "Bendix" to your search. Few mention it but, the rear wheel cylinders are smaller on ABS than non-ABS, so you should get those in addition to the Master Cyl and Booster.

I've got most of the parts, but have been too busy to tackle this one. A number of forum users have done this.

Might be just a sensor needs cleaning and you don't need to rip it all out but, I understand the desire. . .

Sensors are clean but the pump that's over on the passenger side is going out, it howls like crazy when I step on the brakes. I figure if I yank everything then I won't have to worry about it. Just don't have big$$$ to spend on it right now. Any way to disable that pump and still have it work?

asatxj said:
Sensors are clean but the pump that's over on the passenger side is going out, it howls like crazy when I step on the brakes. I figure if I yank everything then I won't have to worry about it. Just don't have big$$$ to spend on it right now. Any way to disable that pump and still have it work?

Nope. That's what pressurizes the system. That WRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT sound is "normal" (and yes, it seems to go on forever, but if it stops, in theory it's OK and it isn't going out). Irritating though isn't it! Disable it and you will stop a few times the you will be SOL. There is no redundant non-ABS system running ontop of this like in a modern car where when ABS fails you get a regular system. . . There is a recall for some components but you say you had it to the dealer. Maybe you are losing pressure in the Master Cylinder causing it to run more frequently?

You are at a crossroads. I spent $100 on a used 95/96 booster and master cylinder plus figure I'll need another $50 for the rest - then I'm done with it. A few people will say that that early Bendix system just needs to be maintained properly but, most hate it (and parts are getting scarce and expensive).

Sorry no details on recall on parts names, I still need my coffee. . .

hey i did this on mine!!! it was really simple really! if u want to call me and talk about it. more simpler than explaining it online.
916 223-5795 after 10 on sat and sun!!
kent

I'll give you a call! Did you mean AM or PM?? :laugh3:

Back