• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushwacker flares

ebay sometimes has them for a set for 320 with free shipping, otherwise, its almost all 369 or something along those lines.

Are you sure you want them?

I've never liked them, they just aren't needed. This winter I came up with another reason to not like them. We were on a run in deep snow, and the guys were having trouble keeping they're tires striaght in the deep tracks. I told one of the guys to look out the window so he could see which way his tires were pointing, and he said he couldn't see the tires past his Bushwacker flares.

If you're buying them for looks, fine. If you're buying them to wheel, forget 'em.

i got mine off ebay for $299.00 with free shipping from savana jones.

Goatman said:
Are you sure you want them?

I've never liked them, they just aren't needed. This winter I came up with another reason to not like them. We were on a run in deep snow, and the guys were having trouble keeping they're tires striaght in the deep tracks. I told one of the guys to look out the window so he could see which way his tires were pointing, and he said he couldn't see the tires past his Bushwacker flares.
Thats what they are supposed to do Goatman. :viking:

In most states, it is illegal to have exposed rubber protruding past the outer edge of the fender, hence the need for flares. California in particular. If you can see the tire by looking out of your window, down the door/fender, then you my friend are likely breaking the law.

tealcherokee said:
i like breaking the law.......get some tj/yj flairs, i picked up a set for $30

YJ flares arent worth the $$$ they only stick out about .5" farther than cherokee flairs...

ArcticXJ said:
Thats what they are supposed to do Goatman. :viking:

In most states, it is illegal to have exposed rubber protruding past the outer edge of the fender, hence the need for flares. California in particular. If you can see the tire by looking out of your window, down the door/fender, then you my friend are likely breaking the law.

I live in CA.......nobody cares. :)

We don't need no stinkin' flares........

Are you going to make me say it? Ok, big fat flares are lame. You can't wheel hard if you can't look out the window and see your tire.

:D :D

Goatman said:

We don't need no stinkin' flares........

Are you going to make me say it? Ok, big fat flares are lame. You can't wheel hard if you can't look out the window and see your tire.

Sure seems that Bushwacker flair post always end up in flames. They sure help to keep the mud and dirt from flying into my face and all over the side of my XJ. I must live in a state where people still care because 2 of my friends were ticketed for not having them on their Jeeps. I am still in the process of building my Jeep up so I do not wheel it hard and my intention is build just enough for Moab "Level 4" trails. Not all of us here are hardcore but we all are still XJ'ers and the Bushwacker Flairs fit into MY XJ's style just fine. Guess I am happy being Lame, Legal and knowing that can't I wheel hard.

Sorry for taking this post off of it's original intent of a better price for flairs.

Goatman said:
Uh....... yeah. I noticed. Thanks! :thumbup:

That little thingy in the top right hand corner of each individual post window. Right where it says "Location". :dunce:
Thats why I stated "Ca in particular". Its great that "nobody cares". Maybe the entire Spider Lake rec area and half of the other Rubicon offshoots being closed to public access have a little something to do with that. ;)

i did tj flars.. i thought most states its that it cant stick out more than 1 or 2 inches past the flare..

maybe im mistaken.. i know thats the way it is in ohio

mtntech said:
Sure seems that Bushwacker flair post always end up in flames. They sure help to keep the mud and dirt from flying into my face and all over the side of my XJ. I must live in a state where people still care because 2 of my friends were ticketed for not having them on their Jeeps. I am still in the process of building my Jeep up so I do not wheel it hard and my intention is build just enough for Moab "Level 4" trails. Not all of us here are hardcore but we all are still XJ'ers and the Bushwacker Flairs fit into MY XJ's style just fine. Guess I am happy being Lame, Legal and knowing that can't I wheel hard.

Sorry for taking this post off of it's original intent of a better price for flairs.

True.

I'm just having fun. Flares are good for muddy conditions and bad for rockcrawling and a few other situations. Another topic where comments don't mean much without knowing the context of the commentor.

More smiley's..... :) :) :)

You could also try TJ or rustys cut out flares. I know that N8 DAWG has them on his XJ

ArcticXJ said:
Uh....... yeah. I noticed. Thanks! :thumbup:

That little thingy in the top right hand corner of each individual post window. Right where it says "Location". :dunce:
Thats why I stated "Ca in particular". Its great that "nobody cares". Maybe the entire Spider Lake rec area and half of the other Rubicon offshoots being closed to public access have a little something to do with that. ;)

Not exactly sure of your point. Mine was that we rarely get stopped for flare violations....the officer needs to be in a bad mood. In all the time I've been doing this I've only seen it once......Mrs FarmerMatt, and the guy was in a really bad mood.

It's not the lack of flares that caused trouble on the 'Con......it's the lack of caring about proper sanitation. Kind of amazing where some of these discussions end up, isn't it. :)

Goatman said:
Not exactly sure of your point. Mine was that we rarely get stopped for flare violations....the officer needs to be in a bad mood. In all the time I've been doing this I've only seen it once......Mrs FarmerMatt, and the guy was in a really bad mood.
Did she talk her way out of it? or was it a fix a ticket?

It's not the lack of flares that caused trouble on the 'Con......it's the lack of caring about proper sanitation. Kind of amazing where some of these discussions end up, isn't it. :)
Yup, the flares are not an issue when it comes to places like the 'Con. As Richard said it's lack of sanitation, lack of respect for the nature (creation of new bypasses and such and leaving of trash behind).

Goatman said:

I'll elaborate.

My point was: There are laws and statutes in place for a reason. The law in CA states you must cover the tire.

Your reply was "nobody cares :)" . This shows a disregard for the laws in place.

I am aware that sanitation was the final factor in closing those trails. However, it is attitudes such as "nobody cares, lets disregard laws" that created the issue of sanitation, and subsequently the removal of access to the spyder lake region.

Hope that helps clarify my point a bit.

:)

Your reply was "nobody cares :)" . This shows a disregard for the laws in place.
I am aware that sanitation was the final factor in closing those trails. However, it is attitudes such as "nobody cares, lets disregard laws" that created the issue of sanitation, and subsequently the removal of access to the spyder lake region.
OK, you're comparing apples to oranges. Have you ever walked across the street in the spot where there is no crossing? Have you ever rolled through a stop sign? Have your ever been drove over the speeding limit? It's all in the same (similar) category as driving without flares.
The Spider Lake closure and the issues surrounding the problems with Rubicon go way deeper then that. Looking at the surface though, the sanitation wasn't the FINAL factor, it was the PRIMARY factor. Sanitation and blatant disregard for nature and surroundings that is.

I know that New Hampshire D.O.T.s test for proper tire coverage is to drop a coin from the top outside edge of your fender flare. If it hits the tire then you're illegal. I know this from experience. :mad:

- Nate.

N8 DAWG said:
I know that New Hampshire D.O.T.s test for proper tire coverage is to drop a coin from the top outside edge of your fender flare. If it hits the tire then you're illegal. I know this from experience. :mad:

- Nate.
Highly scientific. Those guys definitely earn their pay. I know I keep my flares on to keep my tires protected when its raining coins...

Back