• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan t-stat question

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished my electric fan mod and did the wiring like go-jeep told me (several times...I am rather thick headed about wiring cars :wierd: ).

Anyhow, I tied the new fan into the harness for the AUX fan positive and now they both come on at 220 degrees.

I am not real hip on the idea during summer that the motor gets to 220 and then they both come on. I would like to have the main fan come on at say 200 or even 210 and the AUX fan at the factory 220; is this possible by wiring a different way and if so how?

Is there a way to "program" the computer on a 95 to bring in the AUX fan at a lower temp of say 200 or 210 thereby leaving the wiring alone and adjusting the programming?

If none of this is possible then what has others done to separate the main and AUX fans and bring in the main at a set temp.

Thanks,

JC95 :wave:

You can not reprogram the ECU to change the elec fan temp as far as I know. You can get the whole setup to go on with a toggle, or two toggles if you want them to come on differently by using a relay. My setup lets me turn the fan on with a toggle or it automatically goes on at 218*, AC on, or defrost on (the latter 3 are hard coded into the ECU). I'm not sure how go-jeep designs the wiring, but if you splice into the (+) wire before it gets to a fan with the relay and toggle, you'll be able to flip them on whenever you like.

The only way you can do what you want is to buy a separate fan thermostat that has its own temp sender you fit in the upper hose and is also adjustable for any temperature. Here is one on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7968355124&category=33600&sspagename=WD2V
I dont know what you are worrying about though as running at 220 is fine. These are not engines of the olden days and are designed to run at the higher temps and are more effiecent when they do with less wear also.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long wait on the reply.

When Summer gets here the temps hit 95+, that in itself isn't too bad but the HUMIDITY kills us! I just wanted the main fan to come on at 200-210 and let the AUX stay at the ECU set point which should help to keep the engine cooler in traffic.

I know it won't matter with the A/C working (both will run) but I did notice that in the "normal" setting that the fans seemed to "cycle" with the compressor - on, off, on, off. Is this normal or am I missing something in the install wiring? (this is where go-jeep shrugs - "not wiring again!" :laugh3: )

I did find an adjustable stat for the fan for $40 and may go that way.

Thanks for your replies.

JC95

Fans cycling with the compressor is normal.

Back