• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

made hug progress on the jeep tonight

bradlyw

NAXJA Forum User
made huge progress on the jeep tonight

well the jeep started spewing coolant again yesterday, yep u guessed it, the stupid plastic cap on the pressure bottle gave way AGAIN. so i ordered up my Moroso tank and it'll be here on tuesday and i have all my lines set up to plug into the tank.

Secondly, while the jeep is down i'm swapping in the dual diaphram brake booster from a 96 cherokee into my '87. i got the old stuff all pulled out and the new prop valve hooked up, so its coming along. i also put my new YJ brake lines on while i was there.

I'll keep you all posted as to the progress, and maybe some pictures to come.

Brad

P.S. Eagle, or anyone else who has done the Moroso swap, where did u guys put your overflow tanks, not the Moroso tank, but the overflow tank you added, i'm having problems finding room to mount it.

Last edited:
As a side note to this, Jeep had a huge run of bad expansion bottle caps recently. So, if anyone's had trouble with their cap leaking, you might go get a new cap. My local dealer threw out a big bag of the bad ones.

Details on the brake booster swap......? Is it a direct bolt on?

I was gonna do the same, I just got a 99 unit to put in my 92..

Ted Z:
i just followed the writeup on www.madxj.com. for the 97 plus boosters its a little more complicated, but still can be done. i have a 96 non ABS booster which seems to be the easiest to swap.

Beezil:
will you give me a hug when its all done? :D

Brad

Goatman,
I had some really expensive trouble with the defective caps. I replaced my tank and cap a month before a cross country trip. Bottle starts puking the first hot day on the trip. I stop in Colorado at a dealer and replace cap and tank again, later that day same problem. Make it to Montana take it to dealer and they say nothing is wrong with cap or tank, I need a radiator. $500 bucks later, I pick up XJ drive 250 miles, stop for gas it pukes coolant everywhere. So I call them they say go to nearest dealer and they take care of it. Dealer in Wyoming puts new cap on it and it was fine.

They refused to refund my money though. I called DC, the service manager, and stopped payment on the credit card. All to no avail, in the end they said I need the radiator and I had to pay for it. Complete BS. All because of 2 defective 5 dollar caps. :mad:

I got rid of the tank and used the Moroso filler neck that goes in the upper radiator hose and uses a normal radiator cap. Madxj.com has a write up.

Last edited:
TedZ,

I just completed the 96 booster and MC swap into my 91 - bolt on except for having to fab new hard lines (including using the 96 flare nuts) - I can't speak for different years though as there seems to be alot of variation...

Back