• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noobie looking for answers, tranny question

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
Hi, I'm new here and don't know alot. nuff said.

what year AW4's will work in my 91 xj, 23 spline output??? I'm thinking up to 01, but are some of the newer trannys computer controlled???

Fore 'should know this' Wheeler

Yours is also 'puter controlled. Should be compatible through '01 although you may need to grab the 'puter for that year as well (although I can't imagine why)

Last timie i checked all aw-4's were computer controled and there was a change to the comuter in later years. Easy answer is to get the trany computer from what ever you get the tranny from..... hows that? :wave:

All Aw4s have some computer help. I know that there is a difference between the 1994 XJ computer that I lifted and the 1999 tranny that I have. Nothing major. Some time around when they integrated the TCU with ODBII they added an input speed sensor in the front of the tranny. That's the only extra thing I found.

So far it looks like the older computer will controll the newer tranny without any issues. (I'll know in a week when I install it). The newer computer will run without the ODBII (well, ccd bus) hooked up. Looks like its just used for error reporting to scan tools. So you should be able to splice the newer odbII style controller with provisions for the input speed sensor into an older XJ, but there doesn't appear to be much need.

I don't think the newer computer will be very happy with an older tranny due to the lack of that sensor, but that's not a problem you have.

To mate the 1991 tranny computer to a newer tranny you will need to do some wiring harness work as the connectors changed, but its not very complicated. If you still have the old 1991 tranny you should be able to swap in its harness to the newer tranny and call it good.

Jason

Back