• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick disconnect tool?

98JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be putting a new radiator in the XJ this week. So, I'm going to need to disconnect the tranny cooler lines. I know the upper line has a standard compression fitting that uses a wrench to revome it. Now I can't see the lower connection too well, but, as I understand it, there's one of those QD fittings that I'll need to undo to get the line off.

Where do I get the special tool thats made for the QD fittings? I've never seen one at any of my local auto parts stores, though I've never really been looking....

A little help here?

All you have to do is sqeeze the two plastic ears with your fingers, give it a little wiggle and twist, and then it will come off as you pull on it.

ren said:
All you have to do is sqeeze the two plastic ears with your fingers, give it a little wiggle and twist, and then it will come off as you pull on it.
x2. Do a search within the past week for my use of the term WD-40. You need to clean out the innards of the QD before it will come off, but there is no tool needed.

On 97 and newer XJ's a tool is required to disconnect the lower transmission cooler line from the radiator. This tool is also required for some 96 models that were built just before the 97's went into production. I found out the hard way, didn't realize it was a quick connect fitting, and tried forcefully pulling the connector off. In short, damaged the connector and had to buy and install a new line from the transmission. Only cost me 50 bucks and an hour of my time, sure would have been easier had I got the correct $6 tool at pepboys though.

Like I said in another post, "Is it just me, or the newer they get, the worse they get?"

In case anyone cares, I ended up picking up the set I linked to in my 2nd post at Napa. There's like 5 or 6 of 'em and it only cost $8.84 out the door. A worthwhile investment I guess...

ren said:

As Undeclared said, the newer lines have a QD fitting with no exposed ears. I found this out when I put new tranny cooler lines on my '95 XJ.

I thought I would 'resurrect" this thread since I will be working on replacing a radiator this weekend (along with a TON of other things on a 98 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4WD about 220,000 miles) Since I dont own the XJ, (friends jeep is located out in the country) and I've been asked to do the work, this forum has been invaluable in getting me the information I need regarding pitfalls and workarounds for common problems and potential issues.

I will be picking up the quick disconnect tool today but got to thinking about the orings inside the line that I will be disconnecting. Are the orings something that need to be replaced at the same time as preventative maintenance, or can they even be replaced? Do I even need to worry about them? Reason I am asking is once I dive in to the repairs, I wont be near a dealer in case I run into trouble.

As a side note to this, with a lot of other items, I'll be replacing the idler pulley too. I went to the dealership to pick up the idler and they show two listed for this vehicle. Does someone know for sure how many idlers there are on a 98? I dont have the jeep here to look for myself. 98 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4WD with AC and PS. The Chilton book I have is not clear to me on the belt routing, because its too generic in order to cover a lot of model years. I cant tell from the diagrams they have as to which one I'll be working on and figure out how many idlers its got.

N5XL

Back