• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 with 4.0l

You must not be in CA. :)

I did a 4.7L Stroker in an 85XJ. How did you handle the radiator issues?

Tom Houston

I'm also quite interested in how you handled the radiator. Any pictures?
Jeep on!
--Pete

I will see if I can post some pictures. What I did was to actually cut the side radiator support sheet metal off of a donor vehicle and grind off the spot welds from the back side to get them down to the basic sheetmetal. I then cut the old supports from my rig and used SEM glue and screws to put the new supports in place. I used the 88XJ radiator top cross member. I had to bend a piece of sheetmetal to go across the bottom and drill two mounting holes for the new radiator. I found a couple of rubber grommets to put in the holes in the bottom support, to isolate the radiator from rubbing directly against the sheetmetal. So basicaly, I stole from the donor and moved to the 85. You also have to swap the hood and hood latch cable. As far as the firewall goes, there is a small area of a couple of inches on the driver's side rear of the head that need to be moved back about an inch with a bfh. There is nothing behind it and it is a non-critical operation.

Tom Houston

Back