• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan can't be removed with stock suspension

Mr4

NAXJA Forum User
I've read on here that the oil pan can be removed even if you have stock suspension. This may be the case on other XJ's (suspect Up Country package) but not on my stock 90. Even if you could pry/force it out, you'd ruin the new gasket when trying to put it back in.

I have jack stands on the unibody chassis, so the front axle is hanging down as far as it will drop.

Without undoing something to allow the axle to drop another 1.5" or raising the motor 1.5" it's not coming out.

If the shocks are limiting the drop, that would be great. I might even be able to get it out with 1" more axle drop, though 2" would be even better.
I'll try that.
Thanks!

I planned on waiting until I lifted it to do this - everything is easier when it's up in the air - but too much oil was running out onto the garage floor.

I have no doubt an upcountry package would allow removal of the pan with everything bolted up, but not on an everyday stock XJ.

Mine came out by only removing the shocks on a 100% stock '87. You do have to remove and install the oil pump with the pan hanging loose.

Mine came out a few years ago, when the rear main seal let go. I'm sure it was a tight squeeze, but I don't remember unbolting anything, and there hasn't been much leaking, for the most part, with the reseal. '93, 5-speed, 4.0.

Look at this topic about 2-3 days ago, lots of tips ( like taking the sway bar loose HINT HINT)

Back