• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to take console off for noise check.

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i need to take the console off where the 4x4 lever and autodrive lever is.
there is a rattle like a washer loose jiggle sound i would like to find.
and does anyone know if there would be anything right under where the e-brake handle rest that would jiggle?
Tried looking under the jeep but noise is coming from inside .
thanks

Pulling the whole console on an 01 means removing the 4WD shift lever. An easier way to at least inspect for debris is to pull the transmission selector handle straight up, remove the cover for the transmission selector (have to loosen the light, 1/4 turn) and pull the bottom out of the storage compartment (4 screws). This will give you almost compete access to under the center console without having to mess with the transfer case linkage. It should allow you to see if there is any debris causing the rattle. The onlythings I can think of other than debris would be the actuall linkage components for the two shifters them selves.

not sure what the 2001 consoles are like. Is it a full center console that you are trying to take off? Or is it one of those deals that just goes over the 4wd and tranny shifter?

As far as the rattle, check the 4wd shifter likage and bushings. I believe all years had that rattle problem but Im not positive on that. Anyway, if it only rattles when you are in Drive but stoped at a light, try moving the 4wd shifter around and see if it stops. If it does, go to your dealer and get the new linkage/bushing parts. I don't have the part number but they have replaced enough to know what your talking about.

Dean

I 2nd the linkage check. I had a rattle at stopights that blew my mind. An hour under the carpet removing the bolts, and 10 minutes replacing the bushing and it was silent. The replacement bushing comes with a rubber boot, which was totally missing on mine- I recommend filling that thing up with grease, so you'll never have to do the job again!

Back